How often do you feed a "semi claustral" queen?

Temporary placeholder

Moderators: ooper01, Trusted User

AntsCalifornia

Re: How often do you feed a "semi claustral" queen?

Thu May 31, 2018 3:58 am

No harm done. No need for an apology...
I like your input.The only thing is those old post are long...
And, I'm so sorry to hear about your lost colony. This hobby comes with some pretty harsh life and death lessons. I think almost every ant keeper knows what it's like to lose a colony or a queen they had high hopes for... It's never easy...

AntsCalifornia

Tue Jun 05, 2018 1:14 am

Just a quick update..
lots of growing brood!!
We'll have new workers by tomorrow!! I'll count them in a few days....
Today, I saw 2 workers outside the test tube and 3 inside (5 workers)!! This species is very prolific!! I'm now 99% sure she is Pogonomyrmex californicus.
Guess what you guys??....I found 17 more queens that look just like her on a fishing trip!!! They're all in a similar set up and ALL laying eggs! I feel like I hit the jackpot!!
Anyways,This queen will need a bigger home very soon. But, how can I move them without stressing them too much???
Any ideas??
Test tube activity

AntsCalifornia

Fri Jun 15, 2018 6:29 pm

update
OMG! I have so many workers!!
Still not sure how I should go about moving them...
or how big of a home I should give them... Oh well, I'll figure it out :roll:
I welcome ANY advice
Because, They seem to be very happy, my plans are to let them grow a bit longer before I move them.
Here they are at week 10 :shock: Oh wow I had only 5 workers last week...

KamrynAntsTX

Tue Jul 31, 2018 9:49 am

Hello! I recently collected a few queens in Texas that I believe are Pogonomyrmex barbatus (but possibly californicus). I am new to ant keeping and trying to start a colony of harvester ants. I have read your posts and really appreciate your detailed updates!! I currently have seven queens in a set up similar to yours with each of them in a test tube with cotton ball/water, in their own tupperwear containers with a small amount of sand and access to food (since I am not totally sure if the are semi of fully claustral). I have had them all for about 3-4 weeks. I check on them about once a week, a few of them have eggs but nothing has begun hatching yet as far as I can tell. I was curious how your colony is doing and what your set up looks like now? I am trying to figure out how I will transport them and what type of set up I should use once they (hopefully) begin producing workers, and also how long I should expect it to take to get to that point. Any information and/or advice is appreciated! Thank you so much!