Re: My Queens Won't Lay Eggs

Thu Oct 18, 2018 5:09 pm

Batspiderfish wrote:
Wed Oct 17, 2018 4:38 pm
AntsDakota wrote:
Wed Oct 17, 2018 4:30 pm
Batspiderfish wrote:
Fri Oct 06, 2017 7:26 pm
Formica do not keep any brood over the winter, so they will not begin/resume laying until the spring.

Lasius neoniger queens overwinter before laying eggs.
Do Solenopsis molesta keep brood over the winter? My semi mature colony still has hundreds of brood. I am keeping them in my garage, and it's froze several times, yet the brood is still alive.
I've never successfully kept Solenopsis so I wouldn't know, but I wouldn't keep them anywhere that ices over. Not all ants are resistant to freezing.
I cannot keep my ants in the fridge, and my garage is the only other option. How can I hibernate them then?
"God made every kind of wild beasts and every kind of livestock and every kind of creeping things;" (including ants) "and God saw that it was good." Genesis 1:25

AntsDakota

Sat Oct 20, 2018 5:49 pm

Batspiderfish wrote:
Fri Oct 06, 2017 7:26 pm
Formica do not keep any brood over the winter, so they will not begin/resume laying until the spring.

Lasius neoniger queens overwinter before laying eggs.
Do Lasius colonies who have workers keep their brood over winter? What I'm asking is can I keep them in my garage over the winter because I cannot use my fridge.
"God made every kind of wild beasts and every kind of livestock and every kind of creeping things;" (including ants) "and God saw that it was good." Genesis 1:25

SpaceFace

Mon Oct 22, 2018 6:52 pm

ants Dakota, I guess you could keep them in your garage as long as it isn't too cold. Make sure to put somthing warm thier if its too cold. ;)