Tetramorium help

Temporary placeholder

Moderators: ooper01, Trusted User

carsonman99

Tetramorium help

Thu Jul 27, 2017 9:55 pm

My tetramorium queen finally has her first worker and I'm wondering if the wait 5-7 days before feeding rule applies to these smaller ants. Her exoskeleton already appears dark rather than a light color like other species nanatics.

idahoantgirl

Re: Tetramorium help

Thu Jul 27, 2017 11:09 pm

carsonman99 wrote:
Thu Jul 27, 2017 9:55 pm
My tetramorium queen finally has her first worker and I'm wondering if the wait 5-7 days before feeding rule applies to these smaller ants. Her exoskeleton already appears dark rather than a light color like other species nanatics.
It doesn't matter. I generally provide honey right away, (in an outworld that they can forage in) but they most likely will not forage for a while. don't put food directly in the tube for a couple of reasons: 1, if the colony is not hungry it will rot and make a mess. They can also get stuck in it. and 2, it stresses the colony out for you to pick it up, pull the cotton out and ram some big food item in their home. It is natural for them to forage. cut a small piece of drinking straw (1 inch long) and ram it between the exit cotton and the side of the tube. this provides a cozy little tunnel for the ants to travel through.
Proverbs 6:6-8

Go to the ant, you sluggard;
consider its ways and be wise!
It has no commander,
no overseer or ruler,
yet it stores its provisions in summer
and gathers its food at harvest.

Keeping Tetramorium immigrans, Tapinoma Sessile