Lighting question and question about hybrid nest

Temporary placeholder

Moderators: ooper01, Trusted User

VaderOG

Lighting question and question about hybrid nest

Tue May 30, 2017 11:50 am

How much light do ants need?
My RIFA colony resides in my walk-in closet as this is the only room in my apartment that doesn't have an AC duct. There is no natural light and I keep the door closed so the closet stays nice and warm. I've been turning the light on in there for a few hours at a time during the day. Is this necessary? Is this not enough?

I also recently moved my ants into a hybrid nest. I keep the cotton under the nest moist yet the ants have moved into the water test tube connected to the nest... I put a light on it and they move back into the nest but over the night with the light off, they move back to the water tube.. why are they not preferring the nest?

Thanks for your help in advance!

Theantguy13

Re: Lighting question and question about hybrid nest

Wed May 31, 2017 1:08 am

I don't have a definitive answer just a guess.
They might be proffering the close contact to the moisture, or it could be the optimal place to put brood at the brood's current stage of development.

Also, just a side note, Idk why but solenopsis ants just seem dumb sometimes, I had a colony whom I was trying to move into an omninest, and they just refused to move in regardless of the fact that their tube was moldy and dried out, so they died.