Spam Bot

Temporary placeholder

Moderators: ooper01, Trusted User

MadVampy
Main Forum Admin

Spam Bot

Mon Feb 06, 2017 5:34 pm

As many of you have seen a SpamBot got thru the reg process. Many of you wonder why it takes a bit to get approved to the AntsCanada Forums? Well that's because I have to look at each and every person that applies to the forums! Yes I look at the name, the IP, the place they state there are from and where their IP says they are from and so forth. 15 out of 20 people that applied are false accounts or spambot accounts trying to be set up.

I have tried blocking certain IP ranges but with that it sometimes nails real people so that had to be removed as a block, so now I have to look at every person that applies and that can take a little bit beings this forum can get 15-40 applications a day. I do all this so it keeps the spammers out but on occasion one may slip by. If this happens report it and when I get home from work I always check my messages and will get that account deleted and also all the postings that were made by that account.

With your help we'll keep the forums clean!

Thanks,
MadVampy

Head Forum Admin
Name is also Mike but please don't confuse me with Mikey Bustos, two different people. :lol:
Keeper of Solenopsis Ants. :twisted:

Barfdog

Re: Spam Bot

Mon Feb 06, 2017 10:18 pm

Thanks for your help MadVampy~! :D
Keeper of:

One M1ABRAMS TANK AKA Camponotus Laevigatus Queen

shaky33

Mon Feb 06, 2017 11:07 pm

Thanks Vampy,
A real hero to this forum ;)
- Rhytidoponera metallica
- Camponotus consobrinus x2
- **** sp.
- Nylanderia sp.
- Melaphorus sp.
- Camponotus cairns
- Crematogaster sp.
- Colobopsis sp.
- Myrmecia nigrocinta
- Iridomyrmex purpureus
- Camponotus eastwoodi

CreeperUniverse

Sun May 07, 2017 8:37 am

MadVampy wrote:
As many of you have seen a SpamBot got thru the reg process. Many of you wonder why it takes a bit to get approved to the AntsCanada Forums? Well that's because I have to look at each and every person that applies to the forums! Yes I look at the name, the IP, the place they state there are from and where their IP says they are from and so forth. 15 out of 20 people that applied are false accounts or spambot accounts trying to be set up.

I have tried blocking certain IP ranges but with that it sometimes nails real people so that had to be removed as a block, so now I have to look at every person that applies and that can take a little bit beings this forum can get 15-40 applications a day. I do all this so it keeps the spammers out but on occasion one may slip by. If this happens report it and when I get home from work I always check my messages and will get that account deleted and also all the postings that were made by that account.

Thanks,
Thanks! To be honest, this is one of the cleanest forums I know!
Check out my YouTube channel, Arman's Ants.
https://***/armansants
Also feel free to check out the Discord server, Ant-Keeping & Ethology:
https://discord.me/ants

Yui907

Sat May 27, 2017 8:35 pm

MadVampy wrote:

Thanks,
I didn't realize you were monitoring them individually, you should add that to the registration page to make recruits like me more patient.
Nests:
Messor barbarus - 1 Year, population: ~150 (27/05/2017)

Equipment:
Omninest Vertical Small
http://www.AntsCanada.com/shop/omni-nest-vertical-small/

My journal:
http://forum.AntsCanada.com/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=3374

MadVampy
Main Forum Admin

Sun May 28, 2017 10:28 am

The main reason there is not a notice like that is that I don't want others (the spammers) to know that I'm checking each and every one of them. Each time I catch another I take notes to the place, time, IP location, so forth to help me better catch them faster and also it allows me to get the real apps approved faster.

It's kinda of like you driving down a busy road and you see a cop car parked on the side watching for speeders and such, once others see it everyone including the speeders slow down really fast to avoid getting a ticket. In doing this the speeders will always look for a marked cop car in that location and be ready for it. Now if the same cop uses a unmarked common cop car parked at different locations along the same road he's going to catch those speeders that think they are smarter because they are looking for the normal "Marked" cop car.

I hope that analogy works for you in explaining why I don't advertise exactly what I'm doing to keep this place clean. Most of the time it's two days or less that I get people approved.
MadVampy

Head Forum Admin
Name is also Mike but please don't confuse me with Mikey Bustos, two different people. :lol:

madstermd

Wed May 31, 2017 3:33 am

I really appreciate all time you spending on that!

averagebilly

Mon Aug 07, 2017 10:56 am

Thanks for putting in this extra effort.

btw When I sent in my application, it got approved fast enough that I just thought that it was a buffer period where the account was being created!
"Ant Love Forever" - Mikey Bustos

Jadeninja9

Mon Aug 07, 2017 2:29 pm

I've always wondered, what do spam bots do? I've never seen them on here before.
Keeper of:
1x Camponotus Hyatti
1x Lasius alienus colonies
1x Tetramorium immigrans

MadVampy
Main Forum Admin

Mon Aug 07, 2017 4:42 pm

Yep that was one of them. I screen the applications the best I can but sometimes one slips thru but I check each day so I try to get the account and postings removed ASAP.
MadVampy

Head Forum Admin