Preparing for first colony (advice needed)

Temporary placeholder

Moderators: ooper01, Trusted User

Cale3459

Re: Preparing for first colony (advice needed)

Mon Jan 09, 2017 12:36 pm

Hey that's what we are all here for! We want to help each other be successful. Keep that enthusiasm and keep us updated!

Batspiderfish

Mon Jan 09, 2017 5:52 pm

I recommend vinegar flies as an early food source because they reproduce many times more quickly and are easily foraged by ants of all sizes. Larger insects should be given to more mature colonies.
If you enjoy my expertise and identifications, please do not put wild populations at risk of disease by releasing pet colonies. We are responsible to give our pets the best care we can manage for the rest of their lives.

Dreslin

Mon Jan 09, 2017 6:35 pm

Interesting, I haven't heard of vinegar flies before. I intended on simply feeding baby dubias to the young colony, however you're right - a massive roach like a dubia would be quite the meal for a small - medium colony. I'll look more into the vinegar flies as a temporary feeder insect. (I also plan on feeding the dubias to a Bearded Dragon)

Thank you for the advice. :)

Batspiderfish

Mon Jan 09, 2017 8:01 pm

Vinegar flies is the correct common name for what we call "fruit flies", which used to describe a totally different insect. :geek:
If you enjoy my expertise and identifications, please do not put wild populations at risk of disease by releasing pet colonies. We are responsible to give our pets the best care we can manage for the rest of their lives.

Dreslin

Tue Jan 10, 2017 6:14 am

Intriguing :ugeek:

This forum is a treasure trove of knowledge. :lol:

natbohman

Fri Mar 17, 2017 8:12 pm

I'm new to the site but I am really getting into these ants. I want to start my own colony but where can I get a queen ant (in Maryland)? Also, some of the information is far too techy for me. Any suggested reading for us low level learners (less scientific names/words)?