Help with Camponotus

Discussions about the care and keeping of ants

Moderator: ooper01

SolenopsisKeeper

Help with Camponotus

Mon Jan 24, 2022 7:24 pm

Hello, as you can read in the title, I need help with Camponotus plantas. I caught them in a twig, and they had two workers. One worker just died, and now only one worker with a cocoon. Can I give them brood from a similar spieces like C. Floridanus?
When you accidentally reply to yourself…

SYUTEO

Re: Help with Camponotus

Mon Jan 24, 2022 8:11 pm

You can try a few at first and see what happens, anything can go wrong and you'll never know what will. It's like a 50/50 chance.

SolenopsisKeeper

Mon Jan 24, 2022 9:02 pm

SYUTEO wrote:
You can try a few at first and see what happens, anything can go wrong and you'll never know what will. It's like a 50/50 chance.
I am considering just waiting and seeing what happens first

AntsAntsAnts

Tue Jan 25, 2022 4:04 am

SolenopsisKeeper wrote:
SYUTEO wrote:
1. Do they have a queen?

2. Did you research?
You should one part first, best to be a pupae. Then just wait and see if it is accepted. It probably will, in my experience, as it will eventually take on the colony scent...
keeping:
all my queens died :(
got a sugar ant colony started :)

SolenopsisKeeper

Tue Jan 25, 2022 7:20 am

AntsAntsAnts wrote:
SolenopsisKeeper wrote:
SYUTEO wrote:
1. Do they have a queen?

2. Did you research?
You should one part first, best to be a pupae. Then just wait and see if it is accepted. It probably will, in my experience, as it will eventually take on the colony scent...
Yes they have a queen and one worker. They have been reported to be polygynos Camponotus species according to ant wiki. I did research, asked around, and what some said it was risky… they are apparently closely related with C. Floridanus(Flordia carpenter ants) and tortoganus(Flordia carpenter ants). Becuase they are polygynos, will they accept workers from other nests?

SYUTEO

Tue Jan 25, 2022 8:19 am

SolenopsisKeeper wrote:
AntsAntsAnts wrote:
SolenopsisKeeper wrote:

1. Do they have a queen?

2. Did you research?
Yes they have a queen and one worker. They have been reported to be polygynos Camponotus species according to ant wiki. I did research, asked around, and what some said it was risky… they are apparently closely related with C. Floridanus(Flordia carpenter ants) and tortoganus(Flordia carpenter ants). Becuase they are polygynos, will they accept workers from other nests?
It is possible that they will accept them and some people use this method to create multi-species colonies and sometimes they went as far as introducing pupae and even queens from different genera and subfamilies but according to this thread introducing queens is extremely risky and is currently experimental (even though it's from last year): https://www.formiculture.com/topic/15143-the-experimental-process-of-creating-multispecies-ant-colonies/#:~:text=We%20define%20a%20multispecies%20colony,can%20be%20functional%20long%2Dterm.. So only try introducing pupae, DO NOT introduce queens just yet.

SolenopsisKeeper

Tue Jan 25, 2022 2:32 pm

SYUTEO wrote:
SolenopsisKeeper wrote:
AntsAntsAnts wrote:

1. Do they have a queen?

2. Did you research?
It is possible that they will accept them and some people use this method to create multi-species colonies and sometimes they went as far as introducing pupae and even queens from different genera and subfamilies but according to this thread introducing queens is extremely risky and is currently experimental (even though it's from last year): https://www.formiculture.com/topic/15143-the-experimental-process-of-creating-multispecies-ant-colonies/#:~:text=We%20define%20a%20multispecies%20colony,can%20be%20functional%20long%2Dterm.. So only try introducing pupae, DO NOT introduce queens just yet.
Yea not doing queens. I would not want to risk beautiful Camponotus queens. Also, could I introduce workers from the same spieces Becuase they are polygynos.

AntsAntsAnts

Wed Jan 26, 2022 2:24 am

SolenopsisKeeper wrote:
SYUTEO wrote:
SolenopsisKeeper wrote:

Yea not doing queens. I would not want to risk beautiful Camponotus queens. Also, could I introduce workers from the same spieces Becuase they are polygynos.
most likely. But beware of mites and parasites with the outside workers
keeping:

SolenopsisKeeper

Wed Jan 26, 2022 8:22 am

AntsAntsAnts wrote:
SolenopsisKeeper wrote:
SYUTEO wrote:

I will quarantine.

AntsAntsAnts

Wed Jan 26, 2022 5:30 pm

SolenopsisKeeper wrote:
Wed Jan 26, 2022 8:22 am
AntsAntsAnts wrote:
SolenopsisKeeper wrote:

I will quarantine.
once I quarantined and I am glad i did. The next day I found the worker dead with like 10 dead mites next to it.
keeping: