Colony got inside of the inner cup, ant tower small.

Show us your formicariums and ant setup, ask formicarium-related questions, or share your experiences with building an ant home. Here you will also find formicarium requirements for specific ant species.

Moderator: ooper01

KingKongCoen

Colony got inside of the inner cup, ant tower small.

Wed Jan 19, 2022 7:24 am

Hey everyone, I have been keeping a Pheidole Pallidula Colony, around 40-50 members at this moment. And they have been connected to the "Ant Tower Small" for about a week now or so. Until two days ago I had no issues, and I was loving the ants go around the area, and dig in the sand as a team. However as I just discovered, when I shined a light to look at them more closely, and I saw an ant walking underneath the cup you put in. (The one you can optionally use for narrowing the dirt channel)

And as I looked even closer, inspecting the dirt, i didn't see any more then maybe 5 ants in the dirt. So I carefully disconnected the tube and plugged it. And lifted it up above my head, so I can look underneath.

As I suspected... the ant's had nested inside, between the two cups.

My question to you Ant's Canada forum, : How do I procede? As i can see the fruitfly carcasses lying ontop of the innncer cup, they should be able to make their way in and out without any issues.

But if they pile up, it might be bad, as I cannot reach in to clean said carcasses etc.

I was thinking of maybe putting a light inside of the inner cylinder of the Ant Tower, as it is hollow, and easilly accesible.
Would this work? Would they move out and go back into the dirt channels they created?

Please let me know any of your opinions, and thanks for reading!

KingKongCoen

Re: Colony got inside of the inner cup, ant tower small.

Wed Jan 19, 2022 7:25 am

P.S, I can post pictures if neccesary, once i get home.

SolenopsisKeeper

Wed Jan 19, 2022 7:38 am

KingKongCoen wrote:

Inside the place where no dirt is supposed to go or just on iner dirt. Some ants can see red light, try to use black paper to cover the ants up. Ants can see red light, some can’t though, so never rely on it.
When you accidentally reply to yourself…

KingKongCoen

Wed Jan 19, 2022 7:53 am

SolenopsisKeeper wrote:
Wed Jan 19, 2022 7:38 am
KingKongCoen wrote:

Inside the place where no dirt is supposed to go or just on iner dirt. Some ants can see red light, try to use black paper to cover the ants up. Ants can see red light, some can’t though, so never rely on it.
I should've been a tad more specific, yes I indeed meant inside of it, where no dirt is supposed to go! So i guess they they or the sand pushed the cup up ever so slightly, or just wrangled themselves trough it.

AntsLuxembourg

Wed Jan 19, 2022 9:07 am

KingKongCoen wrote:
I should've been a tad more specific, yes I indeed meant inside of it, where no dirt is supposed to go! So i guess they they or the sand pushed the cup up ever so slightly, or just wrangled themselves trough it.
I assume the spacer cub was either not properly positioned or they managed to squeeze their way in. I got a tower at home but I don't remember how easy or difficult it was to put it in place or remove it. I don't even know if the piece snaps in place.
Doing some proper research is the best way to start an antcolony.

Need help or want to help? https://forum.AntsCanada.com/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=18153#p70566

Currently not keeping any ants anymore.

KingKongCoen

Wed Jan 19, 2022 10:16 am

AntsLuxembourg wrote:
Wed Jan 19, 2022 9:07 am
KingKongCoen wrote:
I assume the spacer cub was either not properly positioned or they managed to squeeze their way in. I got a tower at home but I don't remember how easy or difficult it was to put it in place or remove it. I don't even know if the piece snaps in place.
It sits relatively loose, I have another tower here, still empty. It doesn't snap in place really, it just sits ontop of.
I might try putting a small light in the middle, and see if they move out. Otherwise I'm not sure what to do.

Antloverhuman

Wed Jan 19, 2022 10:29 am

What you could do is that secure the smaller cup with non toxic hot glue or silicone. This will make sure that no ants can get inside. Then you can connect the tower the the other one and do what you can to move them out. If the space between cups is very thin, then the queen may not be able to fit in between the cups. This will mean that the colony has not entirely moved between the cups and will be easier to move out. Otherwise they might feel way too cozy to move out
Ants I have-
camponotus compressus colony- the shadow warriors.
Pls just let me have a tetramorium colony

KingKongCoen

Wed Jan 19, 2022 10:43 am

Antloverhuman wrote:
Wed Jan 19, 2022 10:29 am
What you could do is that secure the smaller cup with non toxic hot glue or silicone. This will make sure that no ants can get inside. Then you can connect the tower the the other one and do what you can to move them out. If the space between cups is very thin, then the queen may not be able to fit in between the cups. This will mean that the colony has not entirely moved between the cups and will be easier to move out. Otherwise they might feel way too cozy to move out
That might be what I will have to do. I'll glue it with non toxic glue then and make sure theres no way they can fit in there again, then take it off the warming mat, and move the other on on it instead, and see if they move over.

I reckon gently pulling the cup off is not something is should do is it? Pictures incoming.

KingKongCoen

Wed Jan 19, 2022 11:16 am

Pic1 hard to see, but theyre all blobbed up there.

Edit: nevermind, seems like all my footage is invalid.

SolenopsisKeeper

Wed Jan 19, 2022 9:44 pm

KingKongCoen wrote:
Wed Jan 19, 2022 11:16 am
Pic1 hard to see, but theyre all blobbed up there.

Edit: nevermind, seems like all my footage is invalid.
I would try to move them out, so you can glue it to ensure no escapes. Or you could do the light thing, it depends what you want
When you accidentally reply to yourself…