How to raise leafcutters

Discussions about the care and keeping of ants

Moderator: ooper01

SolenopsisKeeper

How to raise leafcutters

Wed Jan 05, 2022 7:21 am

Before people say “Leafcutters illegal in flordia!”, they aren’t. They can be found in the panhandle, but I am not in the panhandle so I am trying to find a queen of trachymyrmex sepatronas(forgive my spelling I know it’s wrong). This ants farm fungus, are native, are easily and unfortunately completly wiped out by pesticide, and the eat insects too. How would you raise them… can they move their fungus? If I was to raise they in a test tube set up, would they succeed? If they did, how would I move them over to something when they are a bigger colony? I almost bought this species from a GAN farmer, but it was 100$! I have seen colonies around my neighborhood… any thoughts?
When you accidentally reply to yourself…

SYUTEO

Re: How to raise leafcutters

Wed Jan 05, 2022 10:59 pm

SolenopsisKeeper

Wed Jan 05, 2022 11:20 pm

SYUTEO wrote:
Wed Jan 05, 2022 10:59 pm
Here is a guide I found, hopefully it's useful: https://www.formiculture.com/topic/15532-cheetos-ultimate-guide-to-leafcutter-ants%E2%84%A2/
Thanks!

AntsLuxembourg

Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:15 am

SolenopsisKeeper wrote:
Before people say “Leafcutters illegal in flordia!”, they aren’t. They can be found in the panhandle, but I am not in the panhandle so I am trying to find a queen of trachymyrmex sepatronas(forgive my spelling I know it’s wrong). This ants farm fungus, are native, are easily and unfortunately completly wiped out by pesticide, and the eat insects too. How would you raise them… can they move their fungus? If I was to raise they in a test tube set up, would they succeed? If they did, how would I move them over to something when they are a bigger colony? I almost bought this species from a GAN farmer, but it was 100$! I have seen colonies around my neighborhood… any thoughts?
To start off, since they eat and grow fungus, I would assume it is impossible for them to start from a testtube. They would need at least parts of their fungus to be able to survive. Even if they eat insects they need to grow their fungus and I don't think they can start a fungus from scratch. They need either bits of a previous one as an offspring or they need the fungus they already have. That's probably why the GAN Farmer wants 100 bucks. Mainly because they need space in their setup and it can also be difficult to keep them.
Also I looked them up. The name is Trachymyrmex septentrionalis. https://www.antwiki.org/wiki/Trachymyrmex
Native to the southern parts of North America.
Doing some proper research is the best way to start an antcolony.

Need help or want to help? https://forum.AntsCanada.com/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=18153#p70566

Currently not keeping any ants anymore.

SolenopsisKeeper

Thu Jan 06, 2022 2:03 pm

AntsLuxembourg wrote:
SolenopsisKeeper wrote:
To start off, since they eat and grow fungus, I would assume it is impossible for them to start from a testtube. They would need at least parts of their fungus to be able to survive. Even if they eat insects they need to grow their fungus and I don't think they can start a fungus from scratch. They need either bits of a previous one as an offspring or they need the fungus they already have. That's probably why the GAN Farmer wants 100 bucks. Mainly because they need space in their setup and it can also be difficult to keep them.
Also I looked them up. The name is Trachymyrmex septentrionalis. https://www.antwiki.org/wiki/Trachymyrmex
They cannot start from scratch, (unless maybe with alates I have never tried) queen have a spore for the fungus and release it in their foundignnchmaber. Do you think ytong nest would work?

SYUTEO

Thu Jan 06, 2022 8:06 pm

SolenopsisKeeper wrote:
AntsLuxembourg wrote:
SolenopsisKeeper wrote:
They cannot start from scratch, (unless maybe with alates I have never tried) queen have a spore for the fungus and release it in their foundignnchmaber. Do you think ytong nest would work?
I don't think the fungus will be able to grow on the ytong unless you add something in the nest for the fungus to grow.

SolenopsisKeeper

Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:21 pm

SYUTEO wrote:
SolenopsisKeeper wrote:
AntsLuxembourg wrote:

I don't think the fungus will be able to grow on the ytong unless you add something in the nest for the fungus to grow.
If I find alot of these queens next season, I will try ytong with some soil sprinkled in a nest.(sand really as these ants LOVE sand). What do I do if I can’t get ahold of plaster for starting them?

SYUTEO

Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:29 pm

SolenopsisKeeper wrote:
SYUTEO wrote:
SolenopsisKeeper wrote:

If I find alot of these queens next season, I will try ytong with some soil sprinkled in a nest.(sand really as these ants LOVE sand). What do I do if I can’t get ahold of plaster for starting them?
You can just use a small jar filled with soil for them and do not use test tubes as the guide tells you.

Antloverhuman

Fri Jan 07, 2022 2:54 am

SYUTEO wrote:
Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:29 pm
SolenopsisKeeper wrote:
SYUTEO wrote:

You can just use a small jar filled with soil for them and do not use test tubes as the guide tells you.
Yes dont use test tubes. U can use small Tupperware containers to house her. You can use dried or decaying leaves, crush them and add it with the soil for fungus to grow faster. To humidify the nest you could add a test tube filled with water to the top and blocked off with some cotton. This will not give the queen enough space to live in the test tube. Poke a hole the the Tupperware container and block it off with cotton for airflow. Hope this is helpful. I have never kept leafcutter ants but they are my favorite and i have seen alot of videos of other ant keepers keeping them
Ants I have-
camponotus compressus colony- the shadow warriors.
Pls just let me have a tetramorium colony

AntsLuxembourg

Fri Jan 07, 2022 7:42 am

I think the ytong might have too much airflow making it difficult for the fungus to grow. But you can use a big pipe too. When I went to the Berlin antstore they had a colony going all the way around their store through tubes and they had the fungus growing everywhere. ;)

I would say if the airflow is as low as possible then it should be absolutely fine.
Doing some proper research is the best way to start an antcolony.

Need help or want to help? https://forum.AntsCanada.com/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=18153#p70566

Currently not keeping any ants anymore.