Hello, its me again!

Discussions about the care and keeping of ants

Moderator: ooper01

Oinkus

Hello, its me again!

Mon Jan 03, 2022 4:04 pm

Hey!!!
A new age has begun for my ants...
I have transferred them to a formicarium, and so far they haven't entered the actual nesting area.
There are about 11-12 workers, and i don't really know how to transfer them to the nesting area!
I also found, what i believe to be, an abdomen. And that means that one has died, but i haven't found the rest of the body...

Here's a pic of the formicarium i'm using...
Although i have put a red sheet of paper on the OUTSIDE of the nesting area.
Brazilian ant keeper :D

Current colonies:
2 Camponotus Rufipes
Crematogaster Crinosa?
Unidentified Camponotus

SolenopsisKeeper

Re: Hello, its me again!

Mon Jan 03, 2022 6:42 pm

Oinkus wrote:
Hey!!!
I have transferred them to a formicarium, and so far they haven't entered the actual nesting area.
There are about 11-12 workers, and i don't really know how to transfer them to the nesting area!
I also found, what i believe to be, an abdomen. And that means that one has died, but i haven't found the rest of the body...

Ok teh abdomen, is common for dead ants I usually find heads or thoraxes. That looks big for 10-12 ants… what spieces, as my carpenter ants just moved into the tubing connecting them to the outworld Becuase it is more natural for them with your up and down tunnels in wood. Also, depending on species, some ants CAN see red light
When you accidentally reply to yourself…

Oinkus

Mon Jan 03, 2022 7:12 pm

SolenopsisKeeper wrote:
Oinkus wrote:
Hey!!!

Ok teh abdomen, is common for dead ants I usually find heads or thoraxes. That looks big for 10-12 ants… what spieces, as my carpenter ants just moved into the tubing connecting them to the outworld Becuase it is more natural for them with your up and down tunnels in wood. Also, depending on species, some ants CAN see red light
They're Camponotus Rufipes

Current colonies:
2 Camponotus Rufipes
Crematogaster Crinosa?
Unidentified Camponotus

Oinkus

Mon Jan 03, 2022 11:29 pm

SolenopsisKeeper wrote:
Oinkus wrote:
Hey!!!

It indeed looks big on the picture, but in real life it is incredibly small :lol:
So small that when it arrived, i thought it would be TOO small, but on closer inspection, it seems at least decent enough for the ants to fit in...
Ill post a pic tomorrow of the formicarium + ants.

Current colonies:
2 Camponotus Rufipes
Crematogaster Crinosa?
Unidentified Camponotus

SolenopsisKeeper

Tue Jan 04, 2022 7:11 am

Oinkus wrote:
SolenopsisKeeper wrote:
Oinkus wrote:
Hey!!!

It indeed looks big on the picture, but in real life it is incredibly small :lol:
So small that when it arrived, i thought it would be TOO small, but on closer inspection, it seems at least decent enough for the ants to fit in...
They may be stubborn when moving in as camp outs natural nests in wild look liek termite wood nests.

AntsAntsAnts

Sat Jan 15, 2022 4:03 am

Oinkus wrote:
SolenopsisKeeper wrote:
Oinkus wrote:
Hey!!!

nest
Just saying, the nest may be too large for the colony, especially seeing that there are only 11 workers. You should have them 29 wirjers befire giving them a nest, and the nest should be small too.
keeping:
all my queens died :(
got a sugar ant colony started :)

SolenopsisKeeper

Sat Jan 15, 2022 9:44 am

AntsAntsAnts wrote:
Sat Jan 15, 2022 4:03 am
Oinkus wrote:
SolenopsisKeeper wrote:

nest
Just saying, the nest may be too large for the colony, especially seeing that there are only 11 workers. You should have them 29 wirjers befire giving them a nest, and the nest should be small too.
It is actually small. Look at screw compared to the nest. Also, I believe he has Camponotus.

AntsLuxembourg

Tue Jan 18, 2022 9:57 am

SolenopsisKeeper wrote:
It is actually small. Look at screw compared to the nest. Also, I believe he has Camponotus.
Screws can be misleadingly small or big. And still. It seems to offer too much space still for a young and founding colony.
Doing some proper research is the best way to start an antcolony.

Need help or want to help? https://forum.AntsCanada.com/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=18153#p70566

Currently not keeping any ants anymore.

SolenopsisKeeper

Tue Jan 18, 2022 10:51 pm

AntsLuxembourg wrote:
Tue Jan 18, 2022 9:57 am
SolenopsisKeeper wrote:
Screws can be misleadingly small or big. And still. It seems to offer too much space still for a young and founding colony.
True. I would assume the screws are “normal” but I do not know

Oinkus

Sat Jan 22, 2022 7:11 pm

Here's a pic of them inspecting a headless cricket.

Also i got a question, is it safe to like, refrigerate insects as a stock for ants?

Current colonies:
2 Camponotus Rufipes
Crematogaster Crinosa?
Unidentified Camponotus