Odd behavior...

Temporary placeholder

Moderators: ooper01, Trusted User

Jharrell23867

Odd behavior...

Tue Nov 01, 2016 10:46 am

So my Camponotus C is doing great. Just had a new worker added to the group so up to six workers now and the queen just layed a huge cluster of eggs so i am hoping to get a population explosion by next month.

I have noticed some odd things tho lately...

1. my workers when disturbed will do this shake thing were they kind of shimmy, shake & rattle standing in place...

2. the eggs used to be in a loose pile but they now appear to be in a ball that the ants have somehow woven together...

3. My father caught me a wild Camponotus C worker and brought it to me thinking it was one of mine that had escaped but it wasn't lol... Just figured id add this bit in for giggles cuz i thought it was funny. I turned her loose in the yard.

Is any of this normal for Camponotus Castaneus?

Batspiderfish

Re: Odd behavior...

Tue Nov 01, 2016 11:24 am

When abbreviating scientific names, shorten the genus, not the species, and only after the ant has been named in full earlier in the post (i.e. Camponotus castaneus => C. castaneus).

"Camponotus C" could have referred to Camponotus castaneus, Camponotus chromaiodes, or Camponotus caryae

The ants shaking their bodies are striating, a sound-based communication.

Camponotus bury their larvae in other brood when giving them an anchor to weave cocoons. Sometimes things go awry, and brood get enveloped in balls of silk.
If you enjoy my expertise and identifications, please do not put wild populations at risk of disease by releasing pet colonies. We are responsible to give our pets the best care we can manage for the rest of their lives.