Please Help! My queen's eggs are not developing in to adult workers!

Temporary placeholder

Moderators: ooper01, Trusted User

IoanAdam

Please Help! My queen's eggs are not developing in to adult workers!

Fri Oct 22, 2021 10:33 am

Hello! I need help.I caught a queen ant a few months ago but still no workers have arrived. The most I have is I think one pupa. I am not sure of the spicies but if anyone needs pictures I am able to provide them. I am from Romania and I caught the queen in the hills. I thought that is was the genus Lasius but I didn't know the spicies. I have been feeding her from time to time beacuse the workers should have arrived by now. The queen is not too big and I don't think it's some sort of carpenter ant.

The queen is housed 2 syringes taped to one and other. I have been providing her water too. She is protected from light by 2 T-shirts, one under and one above. Her eggs do not seem to be molding and that's why I think she is fertile. Don't know if it helps but I haven't seen any cocoons, just 2 larvae and then one pupa.

Thank you ver much for your
attention, Adam.

AM1C39

Re: Please Help! My queen's eggs are not developing in to adult workers!

Fri Oct 22, 2021 11:11 am

Well if one is a pupae that means they are developing it will just take some time. If you want us to identifie them you can post some images.
My current colonies:
-Miniature Military(formica neogagates)
-Black Hearts(crematogaster cerasi)
In search of new camponotus colony
[Have a look at antmaps.org]

IoanAdam

Sat Oct 23, 2021 5:11 am

I would be very happy to attach pictures but I do not know how... I am sorry that I did not respond earlier and that I do not know how to attach photos. Could you please tell me how ?

Thank you very much for your help!
Adam.

Antloverhuman

Sat Oct 23, 2021 7:50 am

You need a website or an app that can create a link for the photos. U can use Google photos app or imgur. Then you can share the link of the photo here
Ants I have-
camponotus compressus colony- the shadow warriors.
Pls just let me have a tetramorium colony

IoanAdam

Mon Oct 25, 2021 12:08 pm

Hello!
Here are some pictures for the identificatin (link for the website with the pictures)
https://sites.google.com/d/1KpOc4Q2xyLDZ45anywiZ5tUB_M4ypuo7/p/1FULNTUoyckMchakkEeCky4UydO0Urlt_/edit

Thank you for your help!
Adam

AntsAntsAnts

Tue Oct 26, 2021 12:48 am

It's very hard to see the eggs...
keeping:
all my queens died :(
got a sugar ant colony started :)

antnest8

Wed Oct 27, 2021 12:21 pm

IoanAdam wrote:
Fri Oct 22, 2021 10:33 am
Hello! I need help.I caught a queen ant a few months ago but still no workers have arrived. The most I have is I think one pupa. I am not sure of the spicies but if anyone needs pictures I am able to provide them. I am from Romania and I caught the queen in the hills. I thought that is was the genus Lasius but I didn't know the spicies. I have been feeding her from time to time beacuse the workers should have arrived by now. The queen is not too big and I don't think it's some sort of carpenter ant.

The queen is housed 2 syringes taped to one and other. I have been providing her water too. She is protected from light by 2 T-shirts, one under and one above. Her eggs do not seem to be molding and that's why I think she is fertile. Don't know if it helps but I haven't seen any cocoons, just 2 larvae and then one pupa.

Thank you ver much for your
attention, Adam.
Don't worry! It is normal for queens that have their nuptial flight so late in the year to hibernate through the winter until their nanitics eclose. Brood development stops during hibernation as well so you just have to wait until spring. If you are still worried, you can provide a sugar source to the queen to make sure she is fed, but her natural reserves should handle it.
Some of My Informative Sheets
https://forum.AntsCanada.com/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=19099
Includes :
  • Ant Care Sheets
    Queen Hunting
    How To Identify Ants
Goal is to become #2 poster on the forum

IoanAdam

Wed Oct 27, 2021 2:48 pm

I caught the queen in the summer but it wasn't too late and seince then some months have passed. But I still thank you very much for your help :D ! <----(This paragraf is meant for antsnest8)

Regarding the photos I have sent 2 days ago, I didn't know that, you (AntsAntsAnts), wanted to see the eggs to. I will send a link with the new photos. Unfortunatelly I am not sure if those are all the eggs beacuse some of them were placed on the cotton stopper but i can see some small white spots on the siringe. Still not sure if they are eggs. I can and will send some pictures of the pupa too. Forgot t omension that the queen is standing in the other end of the siringe. Some more information on the eggs and pupa: they are not placed all in one pile. I know that is normal too happend beacuse the queen is just sorting the eggs and pupa but the the eggs (still not sure if they are eggs) are not placed in one single pile.

:?: Questions about raising the queen: Should I feed her bugs too/or other meat products?; What other food can i feed the queen?; What setup should I provide her beacuse now I need to add a new water supply and need a bigger place ot feed her? I was thinking of some plastic box with holes plugged with cotton and. Maybe a could add dirt in it and some moss to reacreate the wild.

Any other tips would help very much and I will be letting you know how it works out! A VERY BIG THANK YOU to EVERYONE who helped my with my concern!

PS: Sorry if there are any typing mistakes, English is not my native language.

I am very sorry that for now I am not able to povide pictures beacuse my camera is not meant for close-up photos. I will send the pictures when I will take some better photos with a differnt camera.

antnest8

Thu Nov 04, 2021 4:43 pm

IoanAdam wrote:
Wed Oct 27, 2021 2:48 pm
I caught the queen in the summer but it wasn't too late and seince then some months have passed. But I still thank you very much for your help :D ! <----(This paragraf is meant for antsnest8)

Regarding the photos I have sent 2 days ago, I didn't know that, you (AntsAntsAnts), wanted to see the eggs to. I will send a link with the new photos. Unfortunatelly I am not sure if those are all the eggs beacuse some of them were placed on the cotton stopper but i can see some small white spots on the siringe. Still not sure if they are eggs. I can and will send some pictures of the pupa too. Forgot t omension that the queen is standing in the other end of the siringe. Some more information on the eggs and pupa: they are not placed all in one pile. I know that is normal too happend beacuse the queen is just sorting the eggs and pupa but the the eggs (still not sure if they are eggs) are not placed in one single pile.

:?: Questions about raising the queen: Should I feed her bugs too/or other meat products?; What other food can i feed the queen?; What setup should I provide her beacuse now I need to add a new water supply and need a bigger place ot feed her? I was thinking of some plastic box with holes plugged with cotton and. Maybe a could add dirt in it and some moss to reacreate the wild.

Any other tips would help very much and I will be letting you know how it works out! A VERY BIG THANK YOU to EVERYONE who helped my with my concern!

PS: Sorry if there are any typing mistakes, English is not my native language.

I am very sorry that for now I am not able to povide pictures beacuse my camera is not meant for close-up photos. I will send the pictures when I will take some better photos with a differnt camera.
You only need to provide sugar just to keep the queen alive.
Some of My Informative Sheets
https://forum.AntsCanada.com/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=19099
Includes :
  • Ant Care Sheets
    Queen Hunting
    How To Identify Ants
Goal is to become #2 poster on the forum