Concerns about upcoming carpenter ant hibernation.

Temporary placeholder

Moderators: ooper01, Trusted User

MaxWeaver

Concerns about upcoming carpenter ant hibernation.

Tue Oct 19, 2021 7:06 pm

I have a new carpenter ant colony that hasn't grown nearly as much as I expected them too before the colder months hit the north east united states (they only have five workers as of writing this). I am concerned about whether or not they'll be able to survive the winter, or if they'll be able to get themselves on their feet next spring. Is there anything I should do or could do?

AM1C39

Re: Concerns about upcoming carpenter ant hibernation.

Wed Oct 20, 2021 7:37 am

Well are you keeping the colony inside your house? If they are they will probably survive.
My current colonies:
-Miniature Military(formica neogagates)
-Black Hearts(crematogaster cerasi)
In search of new camponotus colony
[Have a look at antmaps.org]

MaxWeaver

Wed Oct 20, 2021 5:10 pm

AM1C39 wrote:
Wed Oct 20, 2021 7:37 am
Well are you keeping the colony inside your house? If they are they will probably survive.
I am more concerned If any workers will die over the winter of natural causes, and then they colony won't have a big enough workforce to start back up in the spring. I'm not sure if this is a legit concern or not, but I'd rather be safe than sorry.

AntsLuxembourg

Thu Oct 21, 2021 4:24 am

Since camponodus colonies grow slower in numbers, the workers will most likely make it through hibernation. So as long as you keep them at the right temperatur and don't disturb them too much / often during hibernation, they will be fine. If you can manage to not look to often you can do a small check on them once per month during hibernation to see if there is no mold growing in their testtube. I never looked it up but I am sure Camponodus workers (incl. Nanitics) have a lifespan of more than just a few months which might as well be 2-4 years. However I only make an assumption here based on what I experienced with my messor Barbarus colony where the workers had a lifespan of about 2.5 years.
Doing some proper research is the best way to start an antcolony.

Need help or want to help? https://forum.AntsCanada.com/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=18153#p70566

Currently not keeping any ants anymore.