My bull ant queen not nesting

Temporary placeholder

Moderators: ooper01, Trusted User

Ishaan

My bull ant queen not nesting

Wed Oct 06, 2021 7:05 pm

I have a bull nat queen that I recently caught. I have a large thoroughly cleaned bubble casing as a test tube, with some water blocked of by cotton. I have also connected that to a small outworld with a tiny layer of soil <5mm and I feed her some honey water or small fruit such as grape (which she eats). I have tried feeding her a small roach but she does not seem to like insects right now. Since the day I caught her a couple of days ago, she has been constantly living in the outworld, and not setting one foot in the test tube. I cover the test tube so it is dark and I have played around with the humidity by creating an extremely small hole in the test tube and increasing ventilation in the outworld, but she just wants to stay in the outworld (she has not laid any eggs). Any ideas on how to move her?

SYUTEO

Re: My bull ant queen not nesting

Wed Oct 06, 2021 8:59 pm

Is the test tube too small and does it have substrate in it?

Ishaan

Wed Oct 06, 2021 11:17 pm

slightly more than 2 cm diameter is coloured purple. While I have not added any substrate to it, there is substrate in the outworld, which she could use. I will definitely try that though.

AntsAntsAnts

Sat Oct 16, 2021 8:05 pm

Have you tried alive insects? Most bull ant queens are semi-claustral and they require going out of the nest to hunt food.
keeping:
all my queens died :(
got a sugar ant colony started :)