Nuptial flights in the caribbean (puerto rico)

Temporary placeholder

Moderators: ooper01, Trusted User

Notaloka

Nuptial flights in the caribbean (puerto rico)

Sun Oct 23, 2016 9:06 pm

Hi!, im new here but this has flustered me. Ive been trying to hunt queens for awhile. (i had found one but it died because of the type of dirt I inserted that took up too much moisture) I've even tried to dig up mature colonys but no luck...aswell as only seeing male alates everywhere. I dont know if a lot of flights happen and there not coordinated but always even in a semi young colony (one month) i've seen fire ants have alates.

Sorry for the banter, but my question is is there a way to lure out queens or if to just do a termite colony.

Batspiderfish

Re: Nuptial flights in the caribbean (puerto rico)

Sun Oct 23, 2016 9:53 pm

A lot of people who have kept termites in North America have had quite a bit of difficulty. Remember that with termites, you need a "king" and a "queen" to keep a colony going (unlike ants, where the males die shortly after mating with the queen.)

You need to be patient. Keep an eye out on warm, windless days, after rain.
If you enjoy my expertise and identifications, please do not put wild populations at risk of disease by releasing pet colonies. We are responsible to give our pets the best care we can manage for the rest of their lives.

Notaloka

Re: Nuptial flights in the caribbean (puerto rico)

Sun Oct 23, 2016 10:25 pm

Batspiderfish wrote:A lot of people who have kept termites in North America have had quite a bit of difficulty. Remember that with termites, you need a "king" and a "queen" to keep a colony going (unlike ants, where the males die shortly after mating with the queen.)

You need to be patient. Keep an eye out on warm, windless days, after rain.
There somewhat easier as seeing they have secondary producers that can become queens and they make insane nest in dead trees.