Saskatchewan Nuptial Flights

Temporary placeholder

Moderators: ooper01, Trusted User

Nevermidget

Saskatchewan Nuptial Flights

Sun Sep 12, 2021 12:36 pm

Hey guys, new starter to the ant colony world here. I only got into it over the last month, finally picking up the basic supplies to house a colony. I was wondering if anyone had any sort of guide, personal experience, or other useful information of when to look for queens in Saskatchewan. I've been doing some looking recently, but I'm pretty sure it's to late in the year for any queens.

I'm mostly hoping to have this information for next year, so I can start hunting when the time is right. I plan on picking up some expansion pieces over the long winter months, so I can grow a proper and flourishing colony next year. If anyone has anything useful, I'd happily take it, or if your from Saskatchewan yourself, I'd be open to more direct communication as well.

CombinedHalo467

Re: Saskatchewan Nuptial Flights

Sun Sep 12, 2021 2:12 pm

i dont live in saskatchewan but there are still queens flying (a few) in my area of wisconsin but it depends what tep it is for u up there but plan to look 1,2 or 3 days after a rain thats because when the envireomental circumstances are right thats when they fly but plan to look all summer from late may to early september good luck im no expert but thats wht iv heard and read :D :D
A prenolepis imparis colony with repletes and a big queen also 10 chickens and 1 annoying brother.

Ants Are Awesome

NKantsalberta

Sun Sep 12, 2021 4:42 pm

Nevermidget wrote:
Sun Sep 12, 2021 12:36 pm
Hey guys, new starter to the ant colony world here. I only got into it over the last month, finally picking up the basic supplies to house a colony. I was wondering if anyone had any sort of guide, personal experience, or other useful information of when to look for queens in Saskatchewan. I've been doing some looking recently, but I'm pretty sure it's to late in the year for any queens.

I'm mostly hoping to have this information for next year, so I can start hunting when the time is right. I plan on picking up some expansion pieces over the long winter months, so I can grow a proper and flourishing colony next year. If anyone has anything useful, I'd happily take it, or if your from Saskatchewan yourself, I'd be open to more direct communication as well.
Hey there, I'm in Alberta so fairly similar for ant schedules. You are probably too late now, but Camponotus will start flying early May, best luck finding them after 6pm on calm, warm evenings generally around Mother's day. Formica will be mid June to end of August, typically flying early afternoon to early evening on warm days. Myrmica and Lasius fly Mid July to early September on calm warm evenings, sometimes before thunderstorms but haven't been able to confirm the rain/storm theory, as some days they will fly without an environmental trigger such as that.
GAN farmer for Edmonton and area, Alberta, Canada.

Facebook/Instagram : @NKantsalberta

Alberta Keeper's FB Group : Alberta Ant Keepers and Enthusiasts

CombinedHalo467

Sun Sep 12, 2021 7:41 pm

ok you obviously know alot more than me so you do all the talking :D :D
A prenolepis imparis colony with repletes and a big queen also 10 chickens and 1 annoying brother.

Ants Are Awesome

NKantsalberta

Sun Sep 19, 2021 10:06 am

CombinedHalo467 wrote:
Sun Sep 12, 2021 7:41 pm
ok you obviously know alot more than me so you do all the talking :D :D
My knowledge has only come from constant observation, note taking and research. Yours will come in time, what is true in our region may be completely opposite in yours. Happy anting!
GAN farmer for Edmonton and area, Alberta, Canada.

Facebook/Instagram : @NKantsalberta

Alberta Keeper's FB Group : Alberta Ant Keepers and Enthusiasts

CombinedHalo467

Wed Sep 22, 2021 5:27 pm

ok thx u too

Ants Are Awesome