Feedback and suggestions on Food.

Temporary placeholder

Moderators: ooper01, Trusted User

Votteler6681

Feedback and suggestions on Food.

Fri Aug 27, 2021 8:29 pm

So I’ve been chewing over the idea of starting an ant colony here at home. Got a side of the room set that it could take up. I am planning to utilize aquariums and Formicariums from Thrift stores and maybe if I make enough from pet stores.

Though I’m not sure about what to feed them. If I should start breeding insects in combination with the scraps I bring home from work. Cheeses, meats, that kind of stuff.

Or what kind of ant to cultivate. I know I want a native species. Just so in the event that they get out they can help with invasive fire ant populations.

Depicted in the https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/267064630478635018/876221412929568809/image0.png image is a combination of roast beef, boiled ham, Turkey, provolone cheese shreds, and shavings off bread from both wheat and white bread. This were to be my primary food for the ants. Since at the end of a 7 hour work day I can gather a rather impressive collection of several pounds of meat per day.

While the meats, vegetables, and cheeses are as follows. Including bread.

Raw:
- Chicken Steak
- Beef Steak

Prepared Meat:
- Cooked Chicken Steak
- Cooked Beef Steak
- Boiled Ham
- Turkey Breast
- Prosciuttini (Peppered Ham)
- Cappacolo (Spicy Ham)
- Salami
- Pepperoni
- Roast Beef
- Bacon

Veggies:
- Lettuce
- Onion
- Tomato
- Pickle
- Jalapeño
- Banana Pepper
- Cherry Pepper Relish
- Mushroom
- Sweet Peppers + Juice
- Green Bell Pepper
- Avacado

Cheeses:
- White American
- Provolone
- Swiss

Breads:
- White
- Wheat
- Rosemary Parmesan
- Flower Tortilla
- Wheat Tortilla
- Spanish Tortilla

I do have to ask but what insects should I as well introduce/breed and how best should I go about that to help keep the enclosures clean and allow for minimal help from myself? Like how AntsCanada breeds his own cockroaches for the ants to dine on. I do find them in my house from time to time so I was wondering if they’d be good to start a breeding collection for feeding if the above supplies from work isn’t enough or aren’t viable.

In addition should I use composted soil for their enclosure or should I just upend a chunk of dirt from my backyard, grass included, and put that into the enclosure. Spray with water to keep grass alive and bay vegetation as well. I don’t know if I’d have the income to design a water system to use.

If anyone has any feedback or ideas for this do feel free to chime in. Should I do just one big thing or have hoses connecting multiple enclosures for one colony?

SYUTEO

Re: Feedback and suggestions on Food.

Sun Oct 03, 2021 8:55 am

I think the only ants that would want to accept veggies are leafcutter ants.

CombinedHalo467

Re: Feedback and suggestions on Food.

Sun Oct 03, 2021 5:25 pm

dont have much experience with feeder insects but yea ants dont rly take to veggies maybe fruits tho and the meats should be fine (tho i rly dont know what im saying sry) asfor hydration AntsCanada is priicy but i have a ac tower small and it really nice because all i have to do is fill the hydration tray and the ants take care of the rest but depeneds on how big your colony is thats my advice good luck :D
A prenolepis imparis colony with repletes and a big queen also 10 chickens and 1 annoying brother.

Ants Are Awesome