Swapping queen ants?

Where and when are you finding queen ants? A section to share nuptial flight schedules by ant species and locality

Moderator: ooper01

Davemck2nd

Swapping queen ants?

Tue Aug 10, 2021 12:53 pm

Hey all,
I had caught 2 carpenter ant queens this summer. One was a great producer and got up up to 11 nanitics and 15+ more waiting to hatch. The other is very slow at producing with no nanitics and probably 5 or so brood.

The more productive queen has stopped moving since the other day and is only twitching her legs. I'm assuming she is unfortunately on her way out. I gave them spring water, local honey and a protein source. I also kept them in a good climate, there is no mold outbreak etc. The other queen ants and workers I have are fine so I'm at a loss as to what happened.

I caught them the same day in the same area and am assuming they are part of the same colonies nuptial flight.

So here is my question. Has anyone had any success introducing a queen and brood to an orphaned colony of the same species/possibly their aunt? Lol

I've read up a bit on it, I'm just looking to be swayed one way or the other. Do I let the other larger colony die off without a queen? Or do I try and introduce the slow producing queen and see if they can work together?

Thanks in advance everyone!

Antloverhuman

Re: Swapping queen ants?

Fri Nov 19, 2021 3:43 am

You need to provide species in order to know if you can keep the queen together. You can pot the brood of the colony together if there is any
Ants I have-
camponotus compressus colony- the shadow warriors.
Pls just let me have a tetramorium colony