Luring out a queen

Temporary placeholder

Moderators: ooper01, Trusted User

KnightShade

Luring out a queen

Wed Oct 12, 2016 12:23 pm

I just got back from observing what I suspect to be a Pheidole queen walking around my bathroom. After a while she made her way into a crack, presumably to nest. Is there any way I could potentially lure her or force her out so I can put her into a new set up?

I don't think she'd have much luck in that room so good, quick suggestions would be ideal.

Canadiananter

Re: Luring out a queen

Wed Oct 12, 2016 1:47 pm

Use a tiny stick

Barfdog

Wed Oct 12, 2016 5:39 pm

KnightShade wrote:I just got back from observing what I suspect to be a Pheidole queen walking around my bathroom. After a while she made her way into a crack, presumably to nest. Is there any way I could potentially lure her or force her out so I can put her into a new set up?

I don't think she'd have much luck in that room so good, quick suggestions would be ideal.

Use a blacklight!
Keeper of:

One M1ABRAMS TANK AKA Camponotus Laevigatus Queen

AntsMclama

Wed Oct 12, 2016 6:03 pm

You could try the normal method for speeding up any ants! Use some heat and apply it directly to the crack, slowly introduce it to be more hot and more hot.

KnightShade

Wed Oct 12, 2016 9:51 pm

AntsMclama wrote:You could try the normal method for speeding up any ants! Use some heat and apply it directly to the crack, slowly introduce it to be more hot and more hot.
Any advice on what I could use as a heat source?

AuntLinda

Wed Oct 12, 2016 9:53 pm

KnightShade wrote:
AntsMclama wrote:You could try the normal method for speeding up any ants! Use some heat and apply it directly to the crack, slowly introduce it to be more hot and more hot.
I know Mikey Bustos has a few videos on luring whole colonies over to new fornicariums, He mentions the specifics.

KnightShade

Wed Oct 12, 2016 10:07 pm

Barfdog wrote:
KnightShade wrote:I just got back from observing what I suspect to be a Pheidole queen walking around my bathroom. After a while she made her way into a crack, presumably to nest. Is there any way I could potentially lure her or force her out so I can put her into a new set up?

Use a blacklight!
Why a blacklight?

KnightShade

Wed Oct 12, 2016 10:55 pm

AuntLinda wrote:
KnightShade wrote:
I know Mikey Bustos has a few videos on luring whole colonies over to new fornicariums, He mentions the specifics.
The difficulty is that the crack is over a metre long, maybe heating bit by bit

ooper01
Head Moderator

Thu Oct 13, 2016 3:14 pm

Is it a water-tight crack? If so maybe add some water a little at time to bring her to the surface.
~ ooper

Forum Moderator

Barfdog

Sat Oct 15, 2016 11:38 pm

KnightShade wrote:
Barfdog wrote:

Use a blacklight!
Why a blacklight?
Read it here: http://www.formiculture.com/topic/2282- ... ueen-ants/

It's about 1/4 down the page says blacklight could work.
Keeper of:

One M1ABRAMS TANK AKA Camponotus Laevigatus Queen