Queen ant not moving out

Temporary placeholder

Moderators: ooper01, Trusted User

Ellfit

Queen ant not moving out

Sun Jul 18, 2021 6:57 am

Hello 2 days ago I caught a black garden ant queen I was excited I didn’t have a test tube so I put it in a box with a wet cotton bud it started laying I brought a test tube and attached it the queen went straight in and came back out she hasn’t been in since I don’t want her to dry out I need her to move herself and her brood into the test tube do you have any tips on how to make her move faster as I need her to go into the test tube thank you

SYUTEO

Re: Queen ant not moving out

Sun Jul 18, 2021 7:36 am

You can try heating one end of the new test tube using a heating cable, make sure it doesn't get to hot or she will get cooked inside. If that doesn't work try lighting up her old test tube and keep the new test tube covered up. Sometimes queens can take days, weeks or even months before she moves. If all those don't work then you might have to dump her out but do so at your own risk!

Ellfit

Sun Jul 18, 2021 10:08 am

What do you mean by heat up?

SYUTEO

Sun Jul 18, 2021 11:17 am

By making one side of the test tube warmer, heat causes the ants' brood to develop faster so the queen would want to move there to make her brood grow faster, though sometimes this doesn't work.