I need help in finding a queen ant

Temporary placeholder

Moderators: ooper01, Trusted User

AntsGreece

I need help in finding a queen ant

Sun Jul 11, 2021 1:08 pm

Hello, I want to start a colony but I cant find any queen ants, I tried to search for a queen ant or for a nest that has a nuptial flight with no luck, the weather is really dry and hot (30-40c) and I dont think its going to rain any time soon.. it is possible to find a queen ant in this time of the year without rain? if not it is a good idea to take a small colony of ants from outside?

SYUTEO

Re: I need help in finding a queen ant

Sun Jul 11, 2021 11:13 pm

It's best to wait for rain to catch queen ants, digging up a colony is very risky and you may accidentally kill the queen.

AntsGreece

Mon Jul 12, 2021 3:33 am

Oh ok, I will wait for a rain then, I hope it will come soon!
in the meantime I will try to search some more ant nests in my area and I will try to memorize their location so after a rain I will go and check the area around the nests

AntsGreece

Tue Jul 13, 2021 1:17 pm

Hello again, today I bought 8 test tubes and went for a long walk to search for any queen ants and nests, I went to a forest/park that I had catch queens in the past and knew that it had Camponotus and Pheidole sp and perhaps even more species but I was shocked to find that almost no ants left there, I was searching for an hour or more and I only found a young/small Pheidole sp nest,the camponotus nests was empty and I didnt spot a single worker.. the park had no grass or small plants, only trees, no water and the humidity was really low so I guess a lot of them died out I was really sad, now I only know 3 nests that are active but the 2 is Pheidole sp nests and I know their nuptial flights is in april-may.. I am really sad and I am afraid that I will not be able to catch a single queen, i desperately need any help cause I am trying 2 years to start a colony with no luck :( I know that it needs to rain first so I am waiting (I hope it will rain in 2 weeks)
Can someone suggest a place to look or someone know a place to look for ants in Athens, Greece? Thanks for your help!

SYUTEO

Tue Jul 13, 2021 9:33 pm

If you're lucky, you may even be able to catch one in your house.

AntsGreece

Wed Jul 14, 2021 7:24 am

before 2 years I had found a undefined queen with wings in my door but it turns out it was not fertilized and she died later...
After this I have never seen a ant queen in my house or near my house but I keep looking often (perhaps the landlord used chemichals to kill the ants in the building :( ).The most queens I had found was near nests in parks but even then I was stupid and collected some queens right outside their nests so all of them was unfertilized.. :oops:
Now I will not make this mistake again so I will wait until the next rain to search the areas around nests but not near the nest.
I found a trick too in the internet, I painted a plastic piece with blue marker and then a layer with a purple-blue one and I put it in my phone flash and it looks like black light, I will try to use it a rainy night or the next night to see if it will attract alates/queens.

one question I have is if its better to look for queens the same day it rained (after the rain stops) or the next day?

sorry for the long text

SYUTEO

Wed Jul 14, 2021 9:35 am

AntsGreece wrote:
Wed Jul 14, 2021 7:24 am
before 2 years I had found a undefined queen with wings in my door but it turns out it was not fertilized and she died later...
After this I have never seen a ant queen in my house or near my house but I keep looking often (perhaps the landlord used chemichals to kill the ants in the building :( ).The most queens I had found was near nests in parks but even then I was stupid and collected some queens right outside their nests so all of them was unfertilized.. :oops:
Now I will not make this mistake again so I will wait until the next rain to search the areas around nests but not near the nest.
I found a trick too in the internet, I painted a plastic piece with blue marker and then a layer with a purple-blue one and I put it in my phone flash and it looks like black light, I will try to use it a rainy night or the next night to see if it will attract alates/queens.

one question I have is if its better to look for queens the same day it rained (after the rain stops) or the next day?

sorry for the long text
If it's just a light drizzle, then you can look for some after the rain stops. If it rained a lot, then look for them the next day or two.

CombinedHalo467

Sat Jul 31, 2021 1:52 pm

u said it was dry but if u find a damp board thats been on the ground for a while try looking under there rocks too i found like 7 queens ants north of where i live doing that but i only too three (there all camponotus btw) gl i hope u fnd some :D
A prenolepis imparis colony with repletes and a big queen also 10 chickens and 1 annoying brother.

Ants Are Awesome

AntsGreece

Sat Jul 31, 2021 5:12 pm

Thanks for the answer, unfotunately it hasnt rain here for over a month so its still very dry, I have searched a lot of parks even a little forest with no luck, I will continue to search until november (the last flights of the messor ants here) and if I dont manage to get a queen until late august-september, I found a guy here that is willing to sell me one or two of his colonies for a friendly price.