How Do I Take Care Of My New Odontomachus Sp queen

Discussions about the care and keeping of ants

Moderator: ooper01

cosmo1190

How Do I Take Care Of My New Odontomachus Sp queen

Thu Jul 08, 2021 11:00 pm

Hi :D ,i'm new to ant keeping,and honestly i don't really have great set up to start with :? ,judging by my location is just not so strategic for buying tools for ant keeping.by the way

I just caught an odontomachus 2 days ago,i caught her while she just wandering in my house,i place her in a plastic tube with water in covering at the end of tube,so the issue is

-She didn't want to eat from the first time i caught her (she is semi claustral)
-Her wing's is still attached (make's me more worried)
-She only stay in one side of the tube(the water cotton place) and she did not want to go anywhere else,even though when i fed her with fly (i have natural odontomachus colony in my house and they love fly,so i kinda feel confused about it)
-i haven't seen any eggs,although i see her biting white small bits,when she is in my first container (water bottle) and that is before i moved her to proper container,and i think she didn't carry that white bit when i moved her
-When should i check up to her and fed her specifically,because i did not want to disturb her and i did not want her to die without me knowing (and by the way i already place her in dark place,and i don't think i need cloth to cover with because my place is kinda warm)

i hope someone answer this question for i really need your help,thank you..
:mrgreen:

Currently Keeping

-1 Camponotus SP
-1 Meranoplus SP
-1 Tapinoma Melanocephalum
-2 Pheidole Megacephala

SolenopsisKeeper

Re: How Do I Take Care Of My New Odontomachus Sp queen

Sun Dec 12, 2021 12:01 pm

I know this is a little late, but because these queens are semi-claustral, the require food and a foraging arena in the colony founding stage. I would recommend feeding her every 2-3 days, as my Odontomachus colonies will devour any brood if they are not given food. They do often need insects, I have never seen them eat honey/nectar. Also, the queen may take a little bit to settle down into the test tube. If you want to speed up the process, fill up the bottom part of the test tube with substrate, making it look like there is a little path. This also helps with cocoon spinning later down the road.
Good luck! :D
When you accidentally reply to yourself…

cosmo1190

Mon Dec 13, 2021 4:52 am

SolenopsisKeeper wrote:
I know this is a little late, but because these queens are semi-claustral, the require food and a foraging arena in the colony founding stage. I would recommend feeding her every 2-3 days, as my Odontomachus colonies will devour any brood if they are not given food. They do often need insects, I have never seen them eat honey/nectar. Also, the queen may take a little bit to settle down into the test tube. If you want to speed up the process, fill up the bottom part of the test tube with substrate, making it look like there is a little path. This also helps with cocoon spinning later down the road.
Thank you!

Currently Keeping

-1 Camponotus SP
-1 Meranoplus SP
-1 Tapinoma Melanocephalum
-2 Pheidole Megacephala

SolenopsisKeeper

Mon Dec 13, 2021 7:06 am

cosmo1190 wrote:
Mon Dec 13, 2021 4:52 am
SolenopsisKeeper wrote:
Thank you!
Happy to help!
When you accidentally reply to yourself…