Tetramorium Finding Help

Temporary placeholder

Moderators: ooper01, Trusted User

theaxman9

Tetramorium Finding Help

Thu Jun 10, 2021 10:21 am

So I've been looking for a very long time for a pavement ant queen but I can't seem to find one. If anybody has tips for this species relating to time to look, places to look, or just how to find one in general, I would appreciate it if you helped! :D

Nanatzunun

Re: Tetramorium Finding Help

Thu Jun 10, 2021 1:24 pm

I live in northern Idaho. Hut I found a couple of them about a week ago. I went looking a bit early. Around 7 and 8 in the morning. Ants tend to be more active at dusk and dawn. But all the queens I've found were in the morning. So try that, looking in the morning.

bugging3out

Fri Jun 11, 2021 11:32 am

Hi i have seen someone replied but thats not a lot of help. :?

I catch 30-40 queens of pavement ants in the summer every week. 10-20 of them will be fertile and lay eggs. Here is some helpful tips that you may want to use.

1. There is no time for these ants. A lot of people say that pavement ants have their nuptial flights at early in the morning. False! I have seen these girls having their nuptial flight at 12pm 5pm 6am 10 am 3 am 4 am. They have it whenever. I have seen a black light and a sheet really works with these girls at early in the morning and late at night. I did a black light sheeting at 1:45 in July once and they all started pouring on the sheet, thousands of Males, queens.

2. Having a pool is very useful. If you have a pool, you are in luck. You will find hundreds of them in your pool swimming around. Using the pool skimmer is useful to scoop them up.

3. Always have a container on the go. Put a tiny container in your pocket every time you go outside of the house. Once you catch them then you can put them in a fresh test tube setup.

4. Always test tube them separately. In the beginning they will raise their workers together and they may seem nice then but after the 200-300 worker point they will fight bad. Leaving one queen dead and one queen alive or both dead. So test tube them separately.

I hope you found this tutorial helpful, Bugging3out
Why did I even make a signature if I am just gonna say this.

theaxman9

Thu Jun 17, 2021 8:43 am

Ok, so at one point I did find one but my friend accidentally stepped on it. I'm back on the search and I'll try to get my hands on a black light. Thanks for the help!

bugging3out

Sat Jun 19, 2021 5:11 pm

No problem!
Why did I even make a signature if I am just gonna say this.