Question

Discussions about the care and keeping of ants

Moderator: ooper01

KristijanVelja

Question

Sat Jun 05, 2021 5:17 pm

Can fertilized an queens fly?
I saw a beautiful very large queen fly all the way to the fourth floor of my building, straight into my apartment, without further research I concluded that she wasn't fertile since she was flying, but recently I read that queens only shed their wings after they found a suitable place for their colony, did I make a mistake?

Antloverhuman

Re: Question

Sun Jan 09, 2022 2:07 am

If they are flying there is very tiny chance that they are fertilized. But most queens will just walk to la new place instead of flying
Ants I have-
camponotus compressus colony- the shadow warriors.
Pls just let me have a tetramorium colony

SolenopsisKeeper

Sun Jan 09, 2022 8:58 am

KristijanVelja wrote:
I saw a beautiful very large queen fly all the way to the fourth floor of my building, straight into my apartment, without further research I concluded that she wasn't fertile since she was flying, but recently I read that queens only shed their wings after they found a suitable place for their colony, did I make a mistake?
She probably isn’t mats, and you can catch them, Becuase their is a chance.
When you accidentally reply to yourself…

SYUTEO

Sun Jan 09, 2022 8:45 pm

Antloverhuman wrote:
Sun Jan 09, 2022 2:07 am
If they are flying there is very tiny chance that they are fertilized. But most queens will just walk to la new place instead of flying
Actually no, all three of my Colobopsis queens I found could still fly and all of them are showing signs of being fertile, two of them already have workers. It usually depends on location, if they are found near a light source then they will most likely not break off their wings and keep flying because they are distracted by the light. Most queens that don't fly near a light source will often break off their wings and quickly find a place to hide which means that that queen you saw fly into your apartment may be infertile if you found her in the day and may be fertile if you found her in the night, but we'll never know for sure if she is fertile or not until she gets workers.

SolenopsisKeeper

Sun Jan 09, 2022 10:44 pm

SolenopsisKeeper wrote:
Sun Jan 09, 2022 8:58 am
KristijanVelja wrote:
She probably isn’t mats, and you can catch them, Becuase their is a chance.
Tiny chance… unless, like what person above me said
When you accidentally reply to yourself…

AntsLuxembourg

Mon Jan 10, 2022 2:32 am

KristijanVelja wrote:
Not sure where you read this but I can assure you that I have caught queens that where flying and they were fertilized. It might depend on the species but I am sure that they will mate and then either stick around or fly a little bit away to find a less populated spot.
Also queens don't only shed their wings after they found a suitable place. Sometimes they keep them, sometimes they drop them. In general the chance of a fertile queen is higher with wingless queens but some queens just drop the wings asap.
Doing some proper research is the best way to start an antcolony.

Need help or want to help? https://forum.AntsCanada.com/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=18153#p70566

Currently not keeping any ants anymore.

KristijanVelja

Mon Jan 10, 2022 11:46 am

Thanks for the replies guys, took you long enough :lol:
From what I remember that queen was either a Camponotus vagus or a Lasius brunneus, I don't remember the size, it was during the night so I guess I should've had caught her but I released her in fear that she didn't have the chance to mate. A shame really since I was really on the hunt for Camponotus queens.