Gardening - What threat do ants pose?

Temporary placeholder

Moderators: ooper01, Trusted User

Roobybqqby

Gardening - What threat do ants pose?

Fri Apr 16, 2021 7:18 am

I have *just* started my garden, and there's already some nosey common black ants looking around. They haven't nested in the part I'm working on, but I don't know how far away they are. Do they pose much threat to my plants, or will they kinda just poke around. Cheers

AM1C39

Re: Gardening - What threat do ants pose?

Fri Apr 16, 2021 7:55 am

Ants are very good for your gardens hears why. Ants tunnel and by doing so they turn over just as much soil as earthworms do. Ants are great decomposers, they collect dead insects and turn them into fertilizer. Ants are also pollinators and disperse seeds. Ants also kill bad bugs. Ants will easily protect your plants if there are a sufficient number of them, they will kill bad caterpillars, beetles, earwigs, and more.

The only bad thing ants do is protect and farm aphids, but even then its the aphids that do the damage. To get rid of aphids you can snip the part of the plant they are living on and then trow it away.
My current colonies:
-Miniature Military(formica neogagates)
-Black Hearts(crematogaster cerasi)
In search of new camponotus colony
[Have a look at antmaps.org]

Roobybqqby

Fri Apr 16, 2021 9:06 pm

Thanks a bunch. I don't mind them as a minor nuisance but if they were bad I'd have to do something. Now I know to leave them!

Mishal21

Sat Aug 07, 2021 11:19 am

Last spring, I had terrible ants in my garden, and when I'd till or dig, they'd attack, crawl all over me, and bite. I've never had an issue with ants eating my plants, which is weird. I'd make certain I understand the type of bug I'm working with. However, if the problem is sugar ants, I have the ideal solution. Meal made from corn Simply scatter a few piles around, and they'll discover it and return it to their house. It takes a few days, but it is effective. If it's really terrible, I'll add some taro in with it to speed things up.
The fertilizers enhance the growth and overall nutrition to plant. Read best reviews at bestbambooreviews.com

watermelon

Tue Oct 19, 2021 5:17 pm

Wow, thanks for your advice. I didn't know they could be so helpful for my garden. But what do you say about artificial grass? I recently installed my artificial grass with https://itsartificialgrass.com/, and I wonder if ants can harm this grass in any way? Of course, I wouldn't want that to call people to spray my grass with various gases. It would be nice if ants couldn't harm it in any way if, as you said, ants only help natural grass to grow well and make it fertilized with bugs. I should read more about it on different forums.

SYUTEO

Tue Oct 19, 2021 9:11 pm

Mishal21 wrote:
Sat Aug 07, 2021 11:19 am
Last spring, I had terrible ants in my garden, and when I'd till or dig, they'd attack, crawl all over me, and bite. I've never had an issue with ants eating my plants, which is weird. I'd make certain I understand the type of bug I'm working with. However, if the problem is sugar ants, I have the ideal solution. Meal made from corn Simply scatter a few piles around, and they'll discover it and return it to their house. It takes a few days, but it is effective. If it's really terrible, I'll add some taro in with it to speed things up.
That's because ants those don't eat plants. The only ants that will really destroy your plants are leafcutter ants which don't live in Lahore.