Do ant workers change colour?

Main Forum Topics,Forum news, updates, announcements, Forum Rules, Questions, Support, and Suggestions.
azulaiii

Do ant workers change colour?

Mon Feb 22, 2021 8:53 am

I have a camponotus irritans colony and the the most recent batch of workers never turned fully black as if their exoskeleton didn't harden completely. Is this the case or is it just normal colour variation. They're not completely white, but they're a very light brown instead of an almost-black brown like the queen and their earlier sisters. Also, they like to create an ant pile in one corner of the outworld, kinda like the zombie pile outside the Jerusalem wall if you watched the movie world war Z and I'm completely baffled by that as well. Any answers would be appreciated! Thank you so much!

AM1C39

Re: Do ant workers change colour?

Mon Feb 22, 2021 9:05 am

Perhaps they will turn black later on or that is just their color. There mite of be something that happend to do this but it does not mater because they will live on and they do not care about their color. All ants make a sematary for their dead sisters.
My current colonies:
The miniature military (formica neogagates)
the power of war(camponotus novaeborecensis)
the shadow ants(formica subaenescens)
the black hearts(crematogaster cerasi)

azulaiii

Mon Feb 22, 2021 9:13 am

What I'm worried about is the possibility that their exoskeletons didn't fully harden, not really the colour itself and whether anything could have happened to cause that. And the "pile" is actually live ants piling on top of each other and just hanging out, I normally clear out their rubbish before it becomes an actual pile haha. Sorry if it's too confusing :)

AM1C39

Mon Feb 22, 2021 11:06 am

It is possible their exoskeleton has not fully hardened you will just have to be careful. The ants that are in the pile are just probably having power naps.
My current colonies:
The miniature military (formica neogagates)
the power of war(camponotus novaeborecensis)
the shadow ants(formica subaenescens)
the black hearts(crematogaster cerasi)