Ant Sugar Water

Temporary placeholder

Moderators: ooper01, Trusted User

wyldfyre6

Ant Sugar Water

Fri Jan 08, 2021 9:30 pm

I have an ant question I have tried but cannot find online. I need to know how much sugar to put in the sugar water for my harvester ant colony. The are currently in an ac hybrid nest. Do you know how much sugar to put in the sugar water in a test tube setup?

NKantsalberta

Re: Ant Sugar Water

Sun Jan 10, 2021 10:20 am

I don't think I've ever seen a specific measurement either. I generally mix a few teaspoons into 1/2 cup of hot water, until it stops dissolving, although I don't have harvester ants. However, I know a few keepers who use organic apples as their source of sugar for harvesters.
GAN farmer for Edmonton and area, Alberta, Canada.

Facebook/Instagram : @NKantsalberta

Alberta Keeper's FB Group : Alberta Ant Keepers and Enthusiasts

Alaydia

Re: Ant Sugar Water

Sun Jan 10, 2021 1:38 pm

Have you tried hummingbird nectar? DO NOT USE THE RED KIND as it's poisonous to hummingbirds and will probably harm ants, too. Just read the package instructions.

Of course, the cheaper option is to simply use table sugar. I use a 1 to 4 part dilution. Seems to work well. I know I read that somewhere when I was just thinking of starting ant keeping, but for the life of me I cannot remember where.

Ninja edit - agree with above poster, give them bits of fruit as well. Harvesters especially might benefit from having fruit.
Si hoc legere scis nimium eruditiones habes

Main interest is C. Pennsylvanicus, interested in most native ants to my area.