Releasing ants in the winter

Temporary placeholder

Moderators: ooper01, Trusted User

AntsandTermites12

Releasing ants in the winter

Wed Dec 09, 2020 10:03 am

So, I have 2 Ant queens that are in test tubes for the winter, I was looking to release them because for some reason I can't seem to bear them being in those tubes for the entire winter. One of the queens is fertile, with eggs and larvae and the other is not fertile. The fertile queen I believe is a small yellow/orange Phediole species we have in Indiana in my area. She is extremely small and I need a magnifying glass just to look at her brood. She will be impossible to keep contained so I'm looking to release her before her soon to be workers and her escape and run around my room. My other queen is bigger and I believe here to be a Tetramorium queen but I'm not 100% positive about that. She has not mated as I have said and doesn't have any brood. So how can I safely release them in the winter without hurting them or them freezing to death when I let them outside? Its currently December 9 in my area and its 56F right now that I'm righting this so should I look at the forecast for next week and see if there's a hotter time to release them? I need help and It's worrying me a lot.

AM1C39

Re: Releasing ants in the winter

Wed Dec 09, 2020 10:10 am

You should not release ants in the winter they will not be able to survive. You should release them after winter wen the ground is not frozen so they can dig to find cover.
My current colonies:
-Miniature Military(formica neogagates)
-Black Hearts(crematogaster cerasi)
In search of new camponotus colony
[Have a look at antmaps.org]

AM1C39

Wed Dec 09, 2020 11:34 am

If you're looking to get rid of some ants have a look at the GAN project. You could give them to someone in your area.
My current colonies:
-Miniature Military(formica neogagates)
-Black Hearts(crematogaster cerasi)
In search of new camponotus colony
[Have a look at antmaps.org]

AntsIndiana5

Thu Dec 10, 2020 12:01 pm

Thanks I never thought about doing it through the GAN project thank for the tip. This is my alt btw
Ants are the coolest ;)