New ant colony

Temporary placeholder

Moderators: ooper01, Trusted User

Yycants

New ant colony

Tue Oct 13, 2020 10:50 pm

Hey guys, I’m new here and also new to the ant community, that being said I will be receiving my Lasius americanus queen and about 10-25 workers in about 3 days time. I’m just looking for some basic tips maybe from someone who has experience with this type of ant, also, I’ve been doing a lot of reading about care and what not but I just was hoping to learn about early colony care, I do have a tarheel ants fortress formicarium aswell, but I’m not sure what size my colony should be before I move them into this setup. Any basic ant keeping tips that come from personal experience would be awesome as I have done a lot of research and I think I have most of the basic things I could find online, also I wasn’t able to find a care guide specified to this ant, any help will be much appreciated:) ty

AM1C39

Re: New ant colony

Mon Dec 07, 2020 1:06 pm

Have a look at some of the old AntsCanada videos.
My current colonies:
-Miniature Military(formica neogagates)
-Black Hearts(crematogaster cerasi)
In search of new camponotus colony
[Have a look at antmaps.org]

NKantsalberta

Sun Jan 03, 2021 9:33 am

Yycants wrote:
Tue Oct 13, 2020 10:50 pm
Hey guys, I’m new here and also new to the ant community, that being said I will be receiving my Lasius americanus queen and about 10-25 workers in about 3 days time. I’m just looking for some basic tips maybe from someone who has experience with this type of ant, also, I’ve been doing a lot of reading about care and what not but I just was hoping to learn about early colony care, I do have a tarheel ants fortress formicarium aswell, but I’m not sure what size my colony should be before I move them into this setup. Any basic ant keeping tips that come from personal experience would be awesome as I have done a lot of research and I think I have most of the basic things I could find online, also I wasn’t able to find a care guide specified to this ant, any help will be much appreciated:) ty
Message me on my FB page @NKantsalberta. I would hold off on putting your lasius into the Fortress until their numbers are a little larger.
GAN farmer for Edmonton and area, Alberta, Canada.

Facebook/Instagram : @NKantsalberta

Alberta Keeper's FB Group : Alberta Ant Keepers and Enthusiasts

AM1C39

Sun Jan 03, 2021 4:13 pm

when they have about 50 workers.
My current colonies:
-Miniature Military(formica neogagates)
-Black Hearts(crematogaster cerasi)
In search of new camponotus colony
[Have a look at antmaps.org]