Queen sizes?

Temporary placeholder

Moderators: ooper01, Trusted User

Jharrell23867

Queen sizes?

Wed Sep 28, 2016 1:20 pm

Can a queen ant be the same size or even smaller than the ants she gives birth to? Cuz i just found a colony on my porch & i literally dumped them into a giant sifter & captured the entire colony unharmed of course... Not a single queen among them but i have thousands of workers & eggs... what gives?

idahoantgirl

Re: Queen sizes?

Wed Sep 28, 2016 1:30 pm

Jharrell23867 wrote:Can a queen ant be the same size or even smaller than the ants she gives birth to? Cuz i just found a colony on my porch & i literally dumped them into a giant sifter & captured the entire colony unharmed of course... Not a single queen among them but i have thousands of workers & eggs... what gives?
you probably just didn't catch the queen. a picture would help with Identification.
Proverbs 6:6-8

Go to the ant, you sluggard;
consider its ways and be wise!
It has no commander,
no overseer or ruler,
yet it stores its provisions in summer
and gathers its food at harvest.

Keeping Tetramorium immigrans, Tapinoma Sessile

Batspiderfish

Wed Sep 28, 2016 1:36 pm

Some queens are smaller than or the same size as their workers.
If you enjoy my expertise and identifications, please do not put wild populations at risk of disease by releasing pet colonies. We are responsible to give our pets the best care we can manage for the rest of their lives.

larynx

Wed Sep 28, 2016 8:25 pm

I have a queen that has workers almost the exact same size, except her gaster is a tiny bit bigger than her daughters.
Forum Moderator
AntsCanada GAN Farmer

Jharrell23867

Thu Oct 06, 2016 3:39 am

well i moved them & they are back & i still cannot find a queen after flipping their nest for a 2nd time... They do seem to love the planters on my porch & the trash can in my utility room next to my kitchen...

I cannot for the life of me get a good picture of these ants, my camera is to crappy & they are just to small... prolly around 2 or 3 mm... with two caste that i can see... I am thinking the 2nd caste might be queens maybe? not sure they are definitely not soldiers. They wont even bite me even tho i have been a major pain in there ass lately.

Serafine

Thu Oct 06, 2016 9:01 am

Some ants have several queens, although they usually don't make up a significant percentage of the colony.

Canadiananter

Thu Oct 06, 2016 2:10 pm

Check out Formica microgyna

Jharrell23867

Mon Oct 10, 2016 3:08 am

I think i got the queen... 3 very small queens in fact as the tube i set up just to monitor them in has eggs in it now... When i moved it to take a look the 3 queens hid & the 3 workers grabbed little white clusters (i assume are eggs) and ran around in circles lol.

I will try my best to take pictures tomorrow as i am very curious to know what kind of ants these are because they had hundreds of queens & not just winged elates but full on egg laying queens which explains how they were able to recover from me destroying two nests so fast.

Jharrell23867

Mon Oct 10, 2016 3:15 am

Hmmm i think i figured it out on my own...

Tapinoma Sessile or the common Odorous house ant, stink ant or coconut ant...