Any suggestions?

Temporary placeholder

Moderators: ooper01, Trusted User

siahweichong64

Any suggestions?

Mon Sep 26, 2016 3:06 am

I manage to narrow down my ant species to Polyrhachis dives, Polyrhachis illaudata, Polyrhachis proxima (could be wrong) and it seems like they build their nests in plants or sand. Do anyone have any suggestions or experience with for what kind of nesting/substrate environment should I provide for my queen. I don't she likes her test tube setup, she pull at the cotton until it looked like she had a pillow fight, the same happen a smaller water source I provided for he, similar to a test setup, but minus the extra space for nesting the test tube provides. Does any one know how the queen starts her nest in nature? Any ideas given is appreciated. :idea:

Antlover84

Re: Any suggestions?

Mon Sep 26, 2016 7:25 am

From what I know, and I don't know much. :oops: Queens in the wild, once fertilized, will search for a place to make a colony, and when she finds a spot that is just right, she will dig her Claustral chamber in the ground. This area is small, dark, and has access to food and water depending on the queens species. She will then build her colony out from this area as she begins to lay eggs and hatch workers.

This may not pertain to your species of ant, but it seems to be common practice among most ants. If she really hates her test tube setup, it might be where you are keeping her, not what you are keeping her in. You want to keep her somewhere with her ideal temperatures that is dark and quiet. Don't EVER leave her in direct sunlight, and avoid stressing her out too much. Check on her every 2 minutes or so without disturbing her in this new setting, and if she continues to rip the cotton ball, the you might want to double down on your cotton, or buy an AC Test Tube portal so she can run around a bit.

Remember,
Always wait for a consensus!

-Antlover84

siahweichong64

Mon Sep 26, 2016 8:05 am

Good point :) . Also I want to clarify one point, she is semi-claustral species so I placed her in an outworld, the cotton she was tugging at was the cotton that was blocking the water. so I was thinking there was some other reason besides her wanting to escape. Anyone got any other ideas/suggestions.

idahoantgirl

Mon Sep 26, 2016 8:26 am

siahweichong64 wrote:Good point :) . Also I want to clarify one point, she is semi-claustral species so I placed her in an outworld, the cotton she was tugging at was the cotton that was blocking the water. so I was thinking there was some other reason besides her wanting to escape. Anyone got any other ideas/suggestions.
most likely she is trying to make herself fell at home. she is "customizing" her test tube. This is just a natural thing for them to want ot do. of course, if she digs too much, you may want to move her into a set up with more cotton, but she's probably just fine. One thing though, IF the test tube did flood, which I doubt it will, your queen will only APPEAR dead. and I mean like she will look like she is completely dead. In reality, ants can survive up to two weeks underwater! SO, just let her dry off and she would be fine.
Proverbs 6:6-8

Go to the ant, you sluggard;
consider its ways and be wise!
It has no commander,
no overseer or ruler,
yet it stores its provisions in summer
and gathers its food at harvest.

Keeping Tetramorium immigrans, Tapinoma Sessile

siahweichong64

Mon Sep 26, 2016 12:34 pm

idahoantgirl wrote:
siahweichong64 wrote:Good point :) . Also I want to clarify one point, she is semi-claustral species so I placed her in an outworld, the cotton she was tugging at was the cotton that was blocking the water. so I was thinking there was some other reason besides her wanting to escape. Anyone got any other ideas/suggestions.
most likely she is trying to make herself fell at home. she is "customizing" her test tube. This is just a natural thing for them to want ot do. of course, if she digs too much, you may want to move her into a set up with more cotton, but she's probably just fine. One thing though, IF the test tube did flood, which I doubt it will, your queen will only APPEAR dead. and I mean like she will look like she is completely dead. In reality, ants can survive up to two weeks underwater! SO, just let her dry off and she would be fine.
Hopefully that's what happening.

Jharrell23867

Fri Oct 07, 2016 1:47 am

My Camponotus C Queen does the same thing tugging at the cotton or at least she used to... now her workers do it for her lol... They have a small pile of cotton fibers in the middle of the test tube & a pile of egg sacks too... wish they would leave it outside the tube in the out world so i can clean it up some...