Idaho Queen finding.

Temporary placeholder

Moderators: ooper01, Trusted User

Karthex

Idaho Queen finding.

Sun Sep 25, 2016 9:59 pm

Hello! I live in northern Idaho and was wanting to start a colony. I know it's late in the season but I was hoping to find a queen before it starts to get cold. It's supposed to be about 80 and humid all week so I thought this would be a good chance.

Does anyone know what kind of species fly this late in the north west US? If so, what kind and what kind of measures do I have to take to really find some Queens.

idahoantgirl

Re: Idaho Queen finding.

Mon Sep 26, 2016 8:35 am

Karthex wrote:Hello! I live in northern Idaho and was wanting to start a colony. I know it's late in the season but I was hoping to find a queen before it starts to get cold. It's supposed to be about 80 and humid all week so I thought this would be a good chance.

Does anyone know what kind of species fly this late in the north west US? If so, what kind and what kind of measures do I have to take to really find some Queens.
HI there! I'm from Idaho too! well, most species are done for the year, but there are a few. You are most likely to find lasius neoniger.
Here is a link to one of AntsCanada's videos on nuptual flight schedules. Good luck! I'm glad to know that there is someone else from Idaho here!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WfaK8TvM0qA
Proverbs 6:6-8

Go to the ant, you sluggard;
consider its ways and be wise!
It has no commander,
no overseer or ruler,
yet it stores its provisions in summer
and gathers its food at harvest.

Keeping Tetramorium immigrans, Tapinoma Sessile