Pogonomyrmex Soil

Temporary placeholder

Moderators: ooper01, Trusted User

AntKeeper728

Pogonomyrmex Soil

Mon Jul 27, 2020 11:32 pm

I bought a new container for a dirt box setup for my Pogomomyrmex Californicus colony. However, my supplier of desert soil is out of stock. I bought some cactus soil and it has the following ingredients: recycled forest matter, pumice, sand, bark fines, dehydrated poultry manure, hydrolyzed feather meal. I am most worried about the fact that it contains poultry manure, will it hurt my ants? If it helps, the soil I bought is Kellogg Garden Organics Palm, Cactus, and Citrus All Purpose Indoor and Outdoor Mix. Please tell me if this will hurt my ants and if so, where to get suitable substrate for my ants.

Hawkeye

Re: Pogonomyrmex Soil

Thu Aug 13, 2020 1:29 pm

AntKeeper728 wrote:
Mon Jul 27, 2020 11:32 pm
I bought a new container for a dirt box setup for my Pogomomyrmex Californicus colony. However, my supplier of desert soil is out of stock. I bought some cactus soil and it has the following ingredients: recycled forest matter, pumice, sand, bark fines, dehydrated poultry manure, hydrolyzed feather meal. I am most worried about the fact that it contains poultry manure, will it hurt my ants? If it helps, the soil I bought is Kellogg Garden Organics Palm, Cactus, and Citrus All Purpose Indoor and Outdoor Mix. Please tell me if this will hurt my ants and if so, where to get suitable substrate for my ants.
Hi there!

I don't think you have anything to worry about if I'm honest. The manure will provide nourishment for any plants or grass that you'll have in your arena/container, but likely won't have any effect on your ants. Adding other creatures like springtails which further process decaying matter into plant nourishment might put your mind at ease even more.

As with any container I would advice you to have a bottom layer of activated charcoal, covered by course pebles / hydropellets, then a layer of a moisture retaining compound like coco fibers, and then finally your sand mixture. This should ensure great drainage of your soil and the activated carbon will trap any harmfull leftover chemicals which might hurt your ants.