My camponotus colony won't grow

Temporary placeholder

Moderators: ooper01, Trusted User

mslack07

My camponotus colony won't grow

Tue Apr 28, 2020 10:24 pm

Ok, so I'm not positive on the exact breed, but I'm fairly certain I have a Camponotus Pennsylvanicus queen.
I kept my queen in a test tube set-up for the first year, and successfully saw the arrival of of 5 nanitics within the first year. I've been feeding my colony honey and superworms, both of which the colony has accepted well.
At the end of the second year, we were sitting at 11 workers with a decent sized brood clutch. At this point, I had been using an AC test tube portal as a miniature outworld, as I didn't want to try moving my colony into a proper formicarium/outworld setup until I had at least a solid 20 workers or so.
It's now a few months into the third year, and my population count has dropped significantly. Today, I only count 5 workers and the queen, with what would still be considered a solid brood clutch. I haven't had any escapees, but have unfortunately found an ant legs up in the test tube portal more times than I would like. I'm concerned, because it seems that the ants of my colony are dropping dead faster than the queen is replacing them. I was of the impression that even though Camponotus is slow growing, that I could expect a decent population surge somewhere in the 2-3 year range. My experience has been quite the opposite of this so far.
So, any suggestions? Should I consider a heating cable, or perhaps a different diet? Should I be hibernating in a refrigerator versus a room that sits at about 50 degrees F during the winter?
I would greatly appreciate whatever guidance anyone has to give.

CabboAntsGuy

Re: My camponotus colony won't grow

Wed Apr 29, 2020 8:05 am

I kinda have the same situation, I have 9 workers in a colony I caught last year, and they have a very big brood clutch wit eggs, larvi, and puppi, but still only have 9 workers, and I'm worried the short life span of the workers may be coming to an end. Since you keep Camponotus, I'll invite you to join The Camponotus Crew(link down below in my signature) There are more people there who will probably know more than me.
Keep:
3 camponotus pennsylvanicus
2 formica subsericea
The Camponotus Crew! https://forum.AntsCanada.com/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=15267
Need help or want to help? https://forum.AntsCanada.com/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=18153#p70566

Esteban90503

Sat May 02, 2020 1:18 am

Hey there! I have a camponotus modoc queen who is entering year 3. I’m kind of on the same boat, went into hibernation with 8 workers, only 3 survived into this year. She has been laying, and has quite the brood clutch, but yes, they are slow growing. I’ll keep you updated on how it’s going.

QJH2023

Thu Jun 11, 2020 12:17 pm

mslack07 wrote:
Tue Apr 28, 2020 10:24 pm
Ok, so I'm not positive on the exact breed, but I'm fairly certain I have a Camponotus Pennsylvanicus queen.
I kept my queen in a test tube set-up for the first year, and successfully saw the arrival of of 5 nanitics within the first year. I've been feeding my colony honey and superworms, both of which the colony has accepted well.
At the end of the second year, we were sitting at 11 workers with a decent sized brood clutch. At this point, I had been using an AC test tube portal as a miniature outworld, as I didn't want to try moving my colony into a proper formicarium/outworld setup until I had at least a solid 20 workers or so.
It's now a few months into the third year, and my population count has dropped significantly. Today, I only count 5 workers and the queen, with what would still be considered a solid brood clutch. I haven't had any escapees, but have unfortunately found an ant legs up in the test tube portal more times than I would like. I'm concerned, because it seems that the ants of my colony are dropping dead faster than the queen is replacing them. I was of the impression that even though Camponotus is slow growing, that I could expect a decent population surge somewhere in the 2-3 year range. My experience has been quite the opposite of this so far.
So, any suggestions? Should I consider a heating cable, or perhaps a different diet? Should I be hibernating in a refrigerator versus a room that sits at about 50 degrees F during the winter?
I would greatly appreciate whatever guidance anyone has to give.
how have you been feeding them my camponotus is in its 3rd year and are 125+ strong and my system is make sure they always have sugar and as for protean feed them every so often but feed them more than they will eat
keeper of: 41xCamponotus novaeboracensis, Crematogaster spp. and unidentified species and tapinoma sessile

Hawkeye

Tue Jun 16, 2020 2:57 pm

Switching up the food you offer is good for creature. You don't eat the same food every night either now do you?

Sources of sugar: white/cane/brown sugar, honey, maple syrup, honeydew, fruit

Protein: besides the usual insects, spiders, worms etc. You can try eggwhite, meat, fish, wet cat/dog food, flower pollen, peanut butter, and probably a lot more.

If you're breeding your own feeder insects, try gutloading them with a variety of fresh vegetables and fruit. You are what you eat, so this will benefit your ants too

Wardword

Mon Jun 22, 2020 2:54 am

I had nearly 100 Camp Nova, even some sub majors, and all died this spring...

Year 3 and they just died out, no mites, well fed. They just started dying in mass all the sudden.
Kinda sad..

I found a new Queen about a week ago not sure what it is, looks Formica but it has a spike.
SHe is producing eggs now.

Esteban90503

Wed Jun 24, 2020 3:39 pm

I'm right there with you guys. My Camponotus Moduc queen is down to one worker going into this 3rd year, but her brood clutch looks good. I'm not 100% what I'm doing wrong, but I'm going to try feeding them a variety of sugars and proteins from now on.

I think Camponotus queens are just temperamental. You need to figure out exactly what they like, and it's been 2 years and I still am having a hard time knowing exactly what she likes.

Good luck!

tdoukas

Thu Jun 25, 2020 3:37 pm

I'm in the same boat, and have tried everything I know. Tried replicating the condition when the queen was pumping out eggs and the colony was growing last year.... nothing. Tried different sources of food (protein, sugars, etc)... still nothing. If anybody here has figured out how to restart them, please let us know. Thank you!