The black deposition on ant's abdomen

Main Forum Topics,Forum news, updates, announcements, Forum Rules, Questions, Support, and Suggestions.
Nawajo

The black deposition on ant's abdomen

Tue Apr 28, 2020 9:02 am

Hello, i start my ant colonies since last year.
And i noticed some of my ant’s colony appear some black spot on their abdomen(especially on yellow color ant is more obvious).

This question bother me for very long period of time. I am so curious about it, due to some of my ant colony appear some black deposition on their abdomen and sometime it seems lethal to them, but most of them seems normal and nothing bad happen to them.
One of my friend’s ant queen appear the black spot on its left side and after a week the black spot moving to the area around the anus then queen die soon after that.
I also do the ant dissection on one of myrmecosystus Navajo worker, i pretty sure the black deposition is on their digestive tract rather than hemocoel or on their gaster wall. And i find the consistency of small black spot is like stone and the bigger black spot is seems like accumulation of many tiny powder( i can easily swipe then with blade).
Normally i fed them with pure sweet water and cockroach only.
I do research on many paper and journal but i still can't find any clue about it, is anyone can help me find the reason or any possible factor? Thanks a lot!!

Nawajo

Re: The black deposition on ant's abdomen

Tue Apr 28, 2020 9:10 am

don't know how to post the photo hahah(Sorry, the board attachment quota has been reached.)

Nawajo

Tue Apr 28, 2020 9:25 am

Nawajo

Tue Apr 28, 2020 9:29 am

And this is my friend's navajo queen ant, the black spot appear on its left side and moving to the spot where close to the anus after 5 days, and pass away soon after that.

Hope can somebody give me any clue about that black deposition :roll:

Nawajo

Wed May 06, 2020 9:25 pm

push