My Tetramorium Colony

Temporary placeholder

Moderators: ooper01, Trusted User

Tetramorium10000000

My Tetramorium Colony

Tue Mar 24, 2020 4:15 am

I’m not a very experienced ant keeper and I need help! I have my tetramorium 4 queen colony in an outworld soil set up. They had abt 100-150 workers so I put them in that set up a few months ago. I don’t see them coming to the surface very often and when I give them food only abt 10 ants show up. Should I be concerned? They burrowed the queen chamber in a place I can see them and the queens seem to be fine. I also see a lot of eggs. This is my first colony I have kept in my life so I need your help! Furthermore, there are a few centipedes in my soil set up. I think they came with the soil. I have managed to kill some of them by hand. How can I terminate all of the centipedes without killing the ants?

Is there anything else I need to know about tetramoriums?

Formicarufa

Re: My Tetramorium Colony

Thu Apr 23, 2020 11:37 am

I would love to keep tetramorium

If the average number of foraging workers has not declined, (it will probably decline after feeding as the ants are not hungry) and the queen and brood are fine then I don’t think that they are in danger

The colony will send out as many workers as it needs, to find food and defend the nest. The rest will tend to the queen and brood in safety

Centipedes don’t breed very quickly, so killing them one by one will probably be ok.

I hope that they do well

Formicarufa

Thu Apr 23, 2020 11:40 am

I have monitored the growth of a wild tetramorium colony

To begin with I saw very few workers foraging

Sometimes the colony would seemingly disappear

But this year there are a lot of foraging workers.

anonymous1234568

Thu Aug 27, 2020 10:03 am

It should be fine. If you see that the queen is fine and that there are a lot of eggs, it might be that they are just not that hungry.