New Queen; might have troubles

Main Forum Topics,Forum news, updates, announcements, Forum Rules, Questions, Support, and Suggestions.
LordYenehc

New Queen; might have troubles

Sun Jan 19, 2020 6:26 pm

Hey guys, just got my first Queen. My son found it, not Sure what species she is yet but shes tiny. Anyway; after shes been in the tube for about 1/2 an hour (as ive been excitedly preparing what i thought i needed for her) i notice she wasnt moving at all. My heart sunk and i was getting ready to remove her then i thought id jostle her a bit. I got a toothpick n moved her a little, after probably 10 kins of this she actually moved. Now shes laying in 1 spot and occasionally moving her legs a bit. My son then tells me that he pulled her wings off (not sure how true this is as when he brought her to me she still had wings, then when i put her in the tube setup she didnt have her wings anymore.); at any rate: is the poor girl done for? If he didnt remove them what could be her go? If he did pull them off whats her chances at survival? Very upset right now; our first ever queen and she may be gone already. Also he isnt that old so i have no doubt he wasnt trying to hurt her, ive spoken about queens removing their own wings sometimes and if he done it i think he would have been trying to help her if anything... any clues guys? Thanks in advance.

AusAnts

Re: New Queen; might have troubles

Sun Jan 19, 2020 6:34 pm

LordYenehc wrote:
Sun Jan 19, 2020 6:26 pm
Hey guys, just got my first Queen. My son found it, not Sure what species she is yet but shes tiny. Anyway; after shes been in the tube for about 1/2 an hour (as ive been excitedly preparing what i thought i needed for her) i notice she wasnt moving at all. My heart sunk and i was getting ready to remove her then i thought id jostle her a bit. I got a toothpick n moved her a little, after probably 10 kins of this she actually moved. Now shes laying in 1 spot and occasionally moving her legs a bit. My son then tells me that he pulled her wings off (not sure how true this is as when he brought her to me she still had wings, then when i put her in the tube setup she didnt have her wings anymore.); at any rate: is the poor girl done for? If he didnt remove them what could be her go? If he did pull them off whats her chances at survival? Very upset right now; our first ever queen and she may be gone already. Also he isnt that old so i have no doubt he wasnt trying to hurt her, ive spoken about queens removing their own wings sometimes and if he done it i think he would have been trying to help her if anything... any clues guys? Thanks in advance.
Hey, If your son pulled her wigs off im not sure how this would affect her. Best just leave her in a dark place and check on her every 1-2 weeks.

With the recent rains in NSW there should be more Queens flying.
2 x iridomyrmex sp Queen:15+ workers
2 x iridomyrmex pallidus: 40+ workers
1 x pheidole megacephala:2 queen 300 workers.
1 x opisthopsis Queen: 14 workers

LordYenehc

Sun Jan 19, 2020 6:49 pm

Thanks for the quick reply. I checked her out as best as i could, there doesnt appear to be any damage or anything that i can see on her back, as best as i could anyway as shes a tiny species, and ive put her in a dark place with a tiny dab of honey in there. I was trying to coax her into moving with it.

antnest8

Mon Jan 20, 2020 9:39 am

How do you even pull of the wings of a live queen ant? I mean...

That would seem hard to do without injuring/killing the queen so, if there is no visual injuries then the queen is probably fine. But, like AusAnts said, I doubt any of us have ever experienced someone pulling of the wings of a queen manually so, there is so little information on it.

LordYenehc

Mon Jan 20, 2020 6:02 pm

Completely understandable. I thought i saw 1 wing already partially off so maybe he just ‘helped’... i dunno. But she still seemed ok last night when i got a couple of measurements. He now knows that doing that could of really hurt her is empathetic towards her. Time will tell i guess.