Hard Time Finding A Queen and Ant Problem

Questions from those who are just starting or considering getting into the ant keeping hobby. If you’re intimidated or confused by the in-depth posts of the other sections of this forum, feel free to post here, and we'll start from square one!

Moderator: ooper01

iNDiViDUAL1st

Hard Time Finding A Queen and Ant Problem

Tue Dec 31, 2019 4:07 am

[Hello there. I'm kinda new to ant-keeping so I'm having a hard time finding a queen ant. :?
There's actually a colony of fire ants living inside our house but they're not anyone's pets. They cause a bit of trouble during nuptial flights cuz the alates overcrowd the kitchen and the living room. I never wished to terminate the ants, though. So the poor alates get trapped in our house and, unfortunately, had to kill them, and literally every year.
I know they're pests but I want to deal with this problem the nicest way. And I'd really want a fire ant queen to start a new colony. Anyone out there to help? :?:

SolenopsisKeeper

Re: Hard Time Finding A Queen and Ant Problem

Sat Feb 12, 2022 10:53 pm

iNDiViDUAL1st wrote:
Tue Dec 31, 2019 4:07 am
[Hello there. I'm kinda new to ant-keeping so I'm having a hard time finding a queen ant. :?
There's actually a colony of fire ants living inside our house but they're not anyone's pets. They cause a bit of trouble during nuptial flights cuz the alates overcrowd the kitchen and the living room. I never wished to terminate the ants, though. So the poor alates get trapped in our house and, unfortunately, had to kill them, and literally every year.
I know they're pests but I want to deal with this problem the nicest way. And I'd really want a fire ant queen to start a new colony. Anyone out there to help? :?:
Fire ant colonies can have hundreds of queens and will sometimes mate in captivity. Try catching a male and some females and putting them in a box. As for the colony in your house, you will have to exterminate them or try to get them to move into a pot of dirt or something
When you accidentally reply to yourself…