Messor Barbarus "Fresh Queen" HELP!

Main Forum Topics,Forum news, updates, announcements, Forum Rules, Questions, Support, and Suggestions.
Canon92

Messor Barbarus "Fresh Queen" HELP!

Wed Dec 11, 2019 11:40 pm

Hey everyone, i just recently purchased a few queens from a site who had them on sale as "fresh queens" with no brood. They seem quite small for Messor queens. are they still viable? and how would i be able to tell if they will produce this coming spring if they have mated or not.

Best Regards.

Devin. :D

NKantsalberta

Re: Messor Barbarus "Fresh Queen" HELP!

Sat Dec 14, 2019 9:32 pm

Hello! There is a 50/50 chance of these "queens" being fertile and mated. The only way of knowing now is to wait until their brood hatch. If unmated or infertile you will only have drones, or no successful brood at all. It is important when purchasing queens, that there is verified brood of that queen. This is where the AntsCanada GAN program is a more reliable source of ants in this hobby, than a random site as we are required to sell queens that have already produced their own workers... Best of luck and I hope you did not waste any money.
Raising 3x Camponotus novaeboracensis, 2x Formica sp, 2x Lasius sp.

NKantsalberta

Re: Messor Barbarus "Fresh Queen" HELP!

Sat Dec 14, 2019 9:34 pm

NKantsalberta wrote:
Sat Dec 14, 2019 9:32 pm
Hello! There is a 50/50 chance of these "queens" being fertile and mated. The only way of knowing now is to wait until their brood hatch. If unmated or infertile you will only have drones, or no successful brood at all. It is important when purchasing queens, that there is verified brood of that queen. This is where the AntsCanada GAN program is a more reliable source of ants in this hobby, than a random site as we are required to sell queens that have already produced their own workers... Best of luck and I hope you did not waste any money.
Also, try to post good quality pictures, with measurements, so someone may identify your ants as queens and what species (since you believe them to be small for Messors.
Raising 3x Camponotus novaeboracensis, 2x Formica sp, 2x Lasius sp.