Ant keeping tips?

Temporary placeholder

Moderators: ooper01, Trusted User

Anttarantulalove

Ant keeping tips?

Mon Oct 21, 2019 1:58 pm

I just caught my first ant queen and I would like to know some tips about keeping it such as how to transfer them and how to keep them(especially the workers) from escaping. My queen had already started to lay eggs. How to stop the ants from escaping is extra important because I have a collection of tarantulas and ants are one of the number 1 killer of tarantulas. I had heard people reporting all their tarantulas got wiped out by ants in a single night so I don’t want the ant to escape. Thx

LasiusSapien

Re: Ant keeping tips?

Mon Oct 21, 2019 2:24 pm

i believe antscanda has a whole playlist for beginners, also what t's do you keep love spooders looking into keeping a t myself

as for escape prevention it depends on the type of enclosure you have for instance i have 3d printed nest's for mine and have no problems with escapees, with a tank set up you would want a barrier like flueon or olive oil around the top
1x Lasius Niger - early forging stage - 60-100 workers
1x Messor Barbarus - founding stage - <20 workers
1x Camponotus Turkestanus - claustral stage - 1 nanitic + brood
1x Odontoponera Transversa - semi-claustral stage - no eggs

Rakeil

Re: Ant keeping tips?

Tue Dec 17, 2019 4:06 am

Bit late to the party but the setup I'm currently building will have a lid with a centre of termite proof stainless steel mesh, use that in conjunction with a fluron or oil barrier and it will be awesome