Introducton and my return to ant keeping

Temporary placeholder

Moderators: ooper01, Trusted User

GenericInternetGuy

Introducton and my return to ant keeping

Wed Oct 16, 2019 3:37 pm

Hi all!

I've recently become a subscriber to AntsCanada's most excellent YouTube channel and have been inspired to return to ant keeping as a hobby. About 20 years ago when I was but a lad my uncle gave me his old 20 gallon aquarium when he upgraded his fish to a 50 gallon setup. Well, little did he know that the tank would never hold fish again, instead becoming home to a colony of an unidentified black ant species.
To this day I have no idea what species they were, but I do know that they probably not sugar ants as they were rather carnivorous and would eat the dead spiders, flies, grasshoppers, and other insects I would throw into their territory. Nor were they carpenter ants, as they quickly established an underground colony.

All I really know is that I miss them. And after watching AntsCanada, I've decided to convert a few old fish tanks into formicariums, which is a process I'm studying right now. Any advice in this area would be helpful.

I'm also interested to know what species would be ideal for the setup I'm planning. Right now I have 3 tanks, a 20 gallon, a 10 gallon and a 5 gallon.( At least one of these will become home territory for my cockroach livestock breeding program.) and want to learn about colonies that can sustain themselves with relatively limited space as currently a 50-100 gallon setup is somewhat out of my financial capability. I can, however, possibly connect at least 2 of the tanks after modification to increase the area.

So there we have it, I want to get back into one of my first hobbies and am unsure of how to proceed with what I've got going now. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.
"In case you haven't noticed, we ants are running the show. We're the Lords of the Earth!"

GenericInternetGuy

Re: Introducton and my return to ant keeping

Thu Oct 31, 2019 5:23 pm

Welp, I guess a mod can go ahead and delete this.
"In case you haven't noticed, we ants are running the show. We're the Lords of the Earth!"