QUEEN Ant GOING CRAZY!

Temporary placeholder

Moderators: ooper01, Trusted User

AntZilla

QUEEN Ant GOING CRAZY!

Wed Oct 09, 2019 6:01 am

Hello, I Have gotten my queen ant (Camponotus herculeanus) yesterday and I immediately put her in a new test tube as the one it came with was molding so once all of that was done I was soon to realize she was biting on the cotton as I started to panic she looked so desperate forcing her little head against the cotton
So I thought Maybe she wanted more space so I put her in a combined test tube of two taped together but not taped all the way just enough so she can breath and I realized she is enjoying it so is this method okay to do or will it harm the queen and is it okay to check on her daily?

Nikshyran

Re: QUEEN Ant GOING CRAZY!

Wed Oct 09, 2019 9:33 am

My formica fusca ant queen did this too, I think they pull out the cotton to modify their enviroment. She may just be drinking OR she may be moving about her net material.

Regards, Nikshyran :)
Proud owner of two new colonies of [/Formica Fusca x1] and [/Lasius Niger x1] both caught in the UK during August 2019

Kdpfaf

Wed Oct 09, 2019 4:52 pm

Mine did this too. And I taped 2 together to transfer and she never budged. Now she is 7 workers and a ton of brood and eggs happier :) she stays in the side with just a dry cotton ball pushed to the back which is perfect because it makes changing her water and feeding that much easier

ArizonanAnts

Wed Oct 09, 2019 5:45 pm

Do you have test tube portal? Try that.
Keeper of

Nothing right now :cry:

AusAnts

Sun Dec 01, 2019 2:29 am

AntZilla wrote:
Wed Oct 09, 2019 6:01 am
Hello, I Have gotten my queen ant (Camponotus herculeanus) yesterday and I immediately put her in a new test tube as the one it came with was molding so once all of that was done I was soon to realize she was biting on the cotton as I started to panic she looked so desperate forcing her little head against the cotton
So I thought Maybe she wanted more space so I put her in a combined test tube of two taped together but not taped all the way just enough so she can breath and I realized she is enjoying it so is this method okay to do or will it harm the queen and is it okay to check on her daily?
Try not to check on her daily. Best to check every week or so.
2 x iridomyrmex sp Queen:15+ workers
2 x iridomyrmex pallidus: 40+ workers
1 x pheidole megacephala:2 queen 300 workers.
1 x opisthopsis Queen: 14 workers

Antmanboy

Mon Feb 17, 2020 8:10 am

I remember that Mikey (AntsCanada) said campnotous ants are cotton pullers so he used a extra thick cotton to plug her up in a video

AntCompetitors

Thu Mar 26, 2020 11:23 am

queens staying near the water logged cotton like more humidity, queens staying at the dry cotton may like less humidity or the testtubes humidity level is too high for their preference. as to them pulling on the cotton that is most likely because they are trying to modify their nest.