Formica Fusca Not laying Need confirmation.

Main Forum Topics,Forum news, updates, announcements, Forum Rules, Questions, Support, and Suggestions.
Nikshyran

Formica Fusca Not laying Need confirmation.

Mon Oct 07, 2019 7:31 am

Hey guys, so a Formica Fusca I caught in my local area in August has recently hatched her first brood! Awesome I know but there is something that is worrying me, I recently moved the young colony from a mold-infested :D test tube a few days ago. Since then she has not layed any new eggs, is this just because they will hibernate soon? It is October after all or is it a different problem? She only has three workers and I am a bit spooked as this is my first time keeping ants and I REALLY don't want to lose her...

Any help would be very much appreciated Regards, Nikshyran. :)

Hawkeye

Re: Formica Fusca Not laying Need confirmation.

Wed Nov 06, 2019 2:10 am

Nikshyran wrote:
Mon Oct 07, 2019 7:31 am
Hey guys, so a Formica Fusca I caught in my local area in August has recently hatched her first brood! Awesome I know but there is something that is worrying me, I recently moved the young colony from a mold-infested :D test tube a few days ago. Since then she has not layed any new eggs, is this just because they will hibernate soon? It is October after all or is it a different problem? She only has three workers and I am a bit spooked as this is my first time keeping ants and I REALLY don't want to lose her...

Any help would be very much appreciated Regards, Nikshyran. :)
It might very well be preparation for hibernation, could be a lack of protein too. However not all queens are laying eggs continuously, they lay in batches. They have to 'recharge' in between batches. I suspect it's a combination of the first (hibernation) and the latter (batches)

Nikshyran

Re: Formica Fusca Not laying Need confirmation.

Mon Jan 06, 2020 4:20 am

Thanks for the help good sir! I do think they will lay in late January or February, Again Thanks for the help! :D
Proud owner of two new colonies of [/Formica Fusca x1] and [/Lasius Niger x1] both caught in the UK during August 2019