ants in yard

General discussions about ants

Moderator: ooper01

Blayzefire0424

ants in yard

Wed Jun 19, 2019 12:53 pm

Let me just start by saying I've been watching your YouTube channel forever it feels I love ants and enjoy learning new things about them and you are the one who got me interested in these tiny creatures. I have a bit of a weird question about my ant colony in my yard. Some of the ants in my yard are acting strangely. As a before thought, none of my property is sprayed with pesticides of any kind the ants have no mites. I've looked at them under a microscope. There is no fungus that I'm aware of in my yard either.What is concerning to me is the ants have packed up their larva and are transporting it elsewhere and litterally dropping dead. I believe the type of ant in question is Tetramorium caespitum or pavement ants. their colony is located in my back yard under an old tree with a split in the trunk. they are going toward my fence my daughter has a playground and I caught one of the ants carrying a larva. well within seconds the ant seemed to compulsively clean itself and die. the jar I caught her in is a brand new neverfilled with anything glass jar. I noticed this same behavior out of the ones not in the jar from watching a few climb up my daughters swing set. I'm not sure what's going on with them nothing in the yard has changed the tree has nothing wrong with it and is still alive what could be going on with the ants? I'm really worried about them I feed them crickets from the pet store weekly so I know feeding isnt the cause. The crickets are from a very trusted pet store. ANT LOVE FOREVER!!! I hope to hear back soon. :shock:

antperson24

Re: ants in yard

Thu Jun 01, 2023 2:53 pm

Blayzefire0424 wrote:
Wed Jun 19, 2019 12:53 pm
Let me just start by saying I've been watching your YouTube channel forever it feels I love ants and enjoy learning new things about them and you are the one who got me interested in these tiny creatures. I have a bit of a weird question about my ant colony in my yard. Some of the ants in my yard are acting strangely. As a before thought, none of my property is sprayed with pesticides of any kind the ants have no mites. I've looked at them under a microscope. There is no fungus that I'm aware of in my yard either.What is concerning to me is the ants have packed up their larva and are transporting it elsewhere and litterally dropping dead. I believe the type of ant in question is Tetramorium caespitum or pavement ants. their colony is located in my back yard under an old tree with a split in the trunk. they are going toward my fence my daughter has a playground and I caught one of the ants carrying a larva. well within seconds the ant seemed to compulsively clean itself and die. the jar I caught her in is a brand new neverfilled with anything glass jar. I noticed this same behavior out of the ones not in the jar from watching a few climb up my daughters swing set. I'm not sure what's going on with them nothing in the yard has changed the tree has nothing wrong with it and is still alive what could be going on with the ants? I'm really worried about them I feed them crickets from the pet store weekly so I know feeding isnt the cause. The crickets are from a very trusted pet store. ANT LOVE FOREVER!!! I hope to hear back soon. :shock:
There could be a fungus in the soil that you just can't see. But this behavior does sound a bit weird.
Why keep ants that aren't found in your yard?
There are so many fascinating ants right where you live!
I disagree with the keeping/buying of ants that aren't in your area.

Join Ants, Plants, and Myrmecology: https://discord.gg/BeQuNf8yTN