Gummy Wings

Temporary placeholder

Moderators: ooper01, Trusted User

Codex354

Gummy Wings

Tue Jun 11, 2019 5:14 am

2 days ago I caught two ants that were mating in a friends’ pool. I prefer to take insects that would die soon (like from drowning after the rigors of mating,) and attempt to nurse them to health rather than take fully healthy individuals from the environment.

That said, I’ve found this ant caught on her back several times with her wings stuck to the floor of the test tube I’m keeping her in. The wings also appear to be stuck together, so she can’t tear them off.

I think this is due to the chemicals of the pool, and it isn’t getting better on its own. The wings are a light orangish yellow, and almost look like they’re covered in something sugary, like caramel or honey.

Is there anything I can do? Should I just leave it, or release her to try to survive on her own, or rip the wings off myself with insect tweezers, or what?

AntsDakota

Re: Gummy Wings

Tue Jun 11, 2019 5:57 pm

Codex354 wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2019 5:14 am
2 days ago I caught two ants that were mating in a friends’ pool. I prefer to take insects that would die soon (like from drowning after the rigors of mating,) and attempt to nurse them to health rather than take fully healthy individuals from the environment.

That said, I’ve found this ant caught on her back several times with her wings stuck to the floor of the test tube I’m keeping her in. The wings also appear to be stuck together, so she can’t tear them off.

I think this is due to the chemicals of the pool, and it isn’t getting better on its own. The wings are a light orangish yellow, and almost look like they’re covered in something sugary, like caramel or honey.

Is there anything I can do? Should I just leave it, or release her to try to survive on her own, or rip the wings off myself with insect tweezers, or what?
If she is upside down, I would recommend helping the queen loose herself. Otherwise, she should be alright. And besides, you're lucky. You can be sure your queen is mated, and the chances of her successfully founding a colony are high.
"God made every kind of wild beasts and every kind of livestock and every kind of creeping things;" (including ants) "and God saw that it was good." Genesis 1:25