Lasius Niger behaving in a strange way

Temporary placeholder

Moderators: ooper01, Trusted User

boreynorthwind

Lasius Niger behaving in a strange way

Wed May 15, 2019 10:11 pm

Hi! I recently got a colony of Lasius Niger. They currently have around 20 workers. I keep them in a test tube placed into an outworld. The thing is, they are behaving in a very strange way... They built a thick layer of sand in the test tube. It's basically a wall that seperates them from the outworld... They also never come out. I have placed honey and small insects in the outworld but most of the time they never eat them. Sometimes one ant walks past, touches it, and comes back to the test tube. I don't think the worker was laying down pheromones because none of the others came outside. Is this normal for ants?

JoeHostile1

Re: Lasius Niger behaving in a strange way

Thu May 16, 2019 7:33 am

As long as you’re offering them enough food they eat exactly the amount of food that they want to. They built the wall because the test tube opening is too large for them.

Try giving them sugar water. Honey is pretty dangerous for tiny Lasius.
Keeping:
Tetramorium immigrans * Lasius Neoniger * Lasius Claviger * Messor Aciculatus * Myrmica Rubra * Camponotus Novaeboracensis * Camponotus Turkastanus * Pheidole Pallidula

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCSfFtn6RegZ3F1NdS1g08NA

AntsDakota

Thu May 16, 2019 6:48 pm

boreynorthwind wrote:
Wed May 15, 2019 10:11 pm
Hi! I recently got a colony of Lasius Niger. They currently have around 20 workers. I keep them in a test tube placed into an outworld. The thing is, they are behaving in a very strange way... They built a thick layer of sand in the test tube. It's basically a wall that seperates them from the outworld... They also never come out. I have placed honey and small insects in the outworld but most of the time they never eat them. Sometimes one ant walks past, touches it, and comes back to the test tube. I don't think the worker was laying down pheromones because none of the others came outside. Is this normal for ants?
A colony that small can gorge themselves with food, and not need to eat again for quite a while. And the smaller the colony, the more timid the workers, for every worker at this stage is precious to the survival of the colony.
"God made every kind of wild beasts and every kind of livestock and every kind of creeping things;" (including ants) "and God saw that it was good." Genesis 1:25

boreynorthwind

Sat May 18, 2019 7:15 am

So are they okay?

boreynorthwind

Sat May 18, 2019 7:17 am

JoeHostile1 wrote:
Thu May 16, 2019 7:33 am
As long as you’re offering them enough food they eat exactly the amount of food that they want to. They built the wall because the test tube opening is too large for them.

Try giving them sugar water. Honey is pretty dangerous for tiny Lasius.
Ok I'll try that. Thanks! Also can I feed them fruits like small pieces of apple?

WillWithAnts

Mon May 20, 2019 4:38 pm

Yes, you can!