Ants too cold| help?

Temporary placeholder

Moderators: ooper01, Trusted User

TEXASantlover

Ants too cold| help?

Sat May 11, 2019 9:53 am

I have been keeping A fire ant queen since December. Over the winter we had the heat on and my room stayed warm enough to keep the ants in. Recently I was having trouble because they seemed sluggish so I moved their test-tubes (in a box) outside into the warm humid Texas weather and suddenly they seemed very active and much healthier. I realized that with the AC running it was too cold inside but now I don’t know how to keep them at a healthy temperature in their test tubes because all of our rooms have constant AC running. How can I keep them warm? Are there any other things about temperature that I need to know?

AntsDakota

Re: Ants too cold| help?

Sun May 19, 2019 3:08 pm

TEXASantlover wrote:
Sat May 11, 2019 9:53 am
I have been keeping A fire ant queen since December. Over the winter we had the heat on and my room stayed warm enough to keep the ants in. Recently I was having trouble because they seemed sluggish so I moved their test-tubes (in a box) outside into the warm humid Texas weather and suddenly they seemed very active and much healthier. I realized that with the AC running it was too cold inside but now I don’t know how to keep them at a healthy temperature in their test tubes because all of our rooms have constant AC running. How can I keep them warm? Are there any other things about temperature that I need to know?
You can buy a reptile heating cable at your local pet shop. However, only heat part of her tube, so she can choose which area she prefers.
"God made every kind of wild beasts and every kind of livestock and every kind of creeping things;" (including ants) "and God saw that it was good." Genesis 1:25

TEXASantlover

Tue May 21, 2019 9:15 pm

How do I set it up? Also they’re in plastic test tubes but I don’t think that will be effected at the heat it will be at.

AntsDakota

Thu May 23, 2019 4:37 pm

TEXASantlover wrote:
Tue May 21, 2019 9:15 pm
How do I set it up? Also they’re in plastic test tubes but I don’t think that will be effected at the heat it will be at.
I have never bought them before, yet I would assume there is a plug in somewhere. Simply plug it into the outlet and wrap the cord around the area you want heated. (If it's more complicated than that, you will have to ask another user; again, I've never used one.)
"God made every kind of wild beasts and every kind of livestock and every kind of creeping things;" (including ants) "and God saw that it was good." Genesis 1:25

JoeHostile1

Fri May 24, 2019 8:49 am

Make sure the cable isn’t touching the test tube. And also your ants should have a way out of the test tube/heating area in case it gets too hot.
Keeping:
Tetramorium immigrans * Lasius Neoniger * Lasius Claviger * Messor Aciculatus * Myrmica Rubra * Camponotus Novaeboracensis * Camponotus Turkastanus * Pheidole Pallidula

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCSfFtn6RegZ3F1NdS1g08NA