Ants dying!HELP

Temporary placeholder

Moderators: ooper01, Trusted User

BASSBox

Ants dying!HELP

Sat May 04, 2019 2:24 pm

I recently purchased a pheidole pallidula colony with around a 100 w and 1 queen, they arrived today and over the course of 1 day ive seen about 10 new dead bodies just come out of nowhere, the queen and brood are in a testube that is placed in a small outworld (plastic sandwich container). Are they just dying of old age? As i know this species workers have a short lifespan or i was also thinking if the hot glue gun i used could do anything to the ants ? Or could it just be stress from the delivery? Any answers would be highly appreciated (:

AntsDakota

Re: Ants dying!HELP

Sun May 05, 2019 3:20 pm

BASSBox wrote:
Sat May 04, 2019 2:24 pm
I recently purchased a pheidole pallidula colony with around a 100 w and 1 queen, they arrived today and over the course of 1 day ive seen about 10 new dead bodies just come out of nowhere, the queen and brood are in a testube that is placed in a small outworld (plastic sandwich container). Are they just dying of old age? As i know this species workers have a short lifespan or i was also thinking if the hot glue gun i used could do anything to the ants ? Or could it just be stress from the delivery? Any answers would be highly appreciated (:
Yes, the ants are most likely dying of old age. The fact that they all died in one day may be because they were born around the same time.
"God made every kind of wild beasts and every kind of livestock and every kind of creeping things;" (including ants) "and God saw that it was good." Genesis 1:25

JoeHostile1

Mon May 06, 2019 7:57 am

Could be the stress of shipping. Could be old age. But I am a little concerned it could be the glue. If any more die I would try to ventilate where the glue is or move the ants. The glue is probably fine once it’s cured, but it could have been giving off toxic fumes while it was curing. Combine the fumes with an enclosed space and you could have ants dying.
Keeping:
Tetramorium immigrans * Lasius Neoniger * Lasius Claviger * Messor Aciculatus * Myrmica Rubra * Camponotus Novaeboracensis * Camponotus Turkastanus * Pheidole Pallidula

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCSfFtn6RegZ3F1NdS1g08NA

WillWithAnts

Tue May 07, 2019 1:07 am

AntsDakota wrote:
Yes, the ants. . .
Oh my gosh! It is my fellow South Dakotan still at it on the ant forum! Cool to come back and see someone familiar. I'm excited to start over again this summer!

AntsDakota

Sat May 11, 2019 5:54 pm

WillWithAnts wrote:
Tue May 07, 2019 1:07 am
AntsDakota wrote:
Yes, the ants. . .
Oh my gosh! It is my fellow South Dakotan still at it on the ant forum! Cool to come back and see someone familiar. I'm excited to start over again this summer!
I agree! I was very excited to see you active again.
"God made every kind of wild beasts and every kind of livestock and every kind of creeping things;" (including ants) "and God saw that it was good." Genesis 1:25