Baby powder and rubbing alcohol?

Main Forum Topics,Forum news, updates, announcements, Forum Rules, Questions, Support, and Suggestions.
Kovacs

Baby powder and rubbing alcohol?

Fri Apr 12, 2019 6:27 pm

I'm trying to make a substance for my cage so the ants cannot pass. I thought you could do baby powder and rubbing alcohol, I saw from one of his videos. My ants just walk right over it though... if I'm doing it wrong or if I'm just thinking of something completely different, please tell me, I'm tired of catching my ants across my room. Thank you for reading.

TEXASantlover

Re: Baby powder and rubbing alcohol?

Sat May 11, 2019 12:06 pm

I tried using this mixture once (for a millipede) and had the same experience. I suspect it has to do with the ingredients in the different brands of baby powder. I’m hoping more people will respond with more helpful answers.

renaazra

Thu May 30, 2019 11:01 pm

I actually just had this problem. I've been using baby powder and rubbing alcohol for two years on a massive colony in a two gallon tank. After moving them into a ten gallon I found my ants all over after one night...that morning after 30 or so ants being plopped back into the tank I resolved to put plastic wrap on the tank with a few air holes and the lid and to deal with it later. As of now I have the petroleum jelly band and the rubbing alcohol mix above it, it seems to be keeping them in. Now I actually switched baby powders both from the dollar store. One is Talc and fragrance the other is talc, cornstarch, sodium bicarbonate, tricalcium phosphate, polysaccharides, aloe barbadadensis, chamomile. My theory is the cornstarch isn't slippery and it messes with the mixture. I'm going to buy my original baby powder I use to buy and try it again. You can see the tanks and everything on my YouTube(just my username) but I will try to post my findings here as well. Good luck everyone.

renaazra

Fri Jul 19, 2019 11:13 pm

Now only using the talc baby powder without cornstarch without problems

LasiusSapien

Sat Jul 20, 2019 9:28 am

hey guys any of you tried the baby/talc powder without the alcohol? or how about fluon?
1x Lasius Niger - early forging stage - 60-100 workers
1x Messor Barbarus - founding stage - <20 workers
1x Camponotus Turkestanus - claustral stage - 1 nanitic + brood
1x Odontoponera Transversa - semi-claustral stage - no eggs