Quick question about lasius niger

Temporary placeholder

Moderators: ooper01, Trusted User

Velocurs

Quick question about lasius niger

Fri Mar 08, 2019 6:49 am

Hello does lasius niger need any kind of substrate to spin there coocuns? i have a type of gravel substrate in there outworld but if they need substrate to spin the coocuns do i have to give them a more finer substrate like sand or dirt?
greatful for response!
My adorable ants🐜
——————————
Messor barbarus 1x
Lasius niger 1x
——————————

JoeHostile1

Re: Quick question about lasius niger

Mon Mar 11, 2019 7:57 am

I do believe all Lasius species can go through the pupae stage with or without spinning a cacoon. I guess you have them in a plastic set up? They can’t spin cacoons on smooth services. You can give them sand/dirt, but they will start smearing it and generally make the plastic hard to see through.

I gave a colony of mine some dirt because they were building cool ant hills out of seeds so I thought they would make good use of the dirt. Instead of making ant hills out of it they combined the dirt with water and cotton strands to completely cover all the glass. Of course there is no way to take the dirt back so one of my biggest ant keeping mistakes.

I would just give them some cotton or maybe coconut husk or something they can’t make a mess with.
Keeping:
Tetramorium immigrans * Lasius Neoniger * Lasius Claviger * Messor Aciculatus * Myrmica Rubra * Camponotus Novaeboracensis * Camponotus Turkastanus * Pheidole Pallidula

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCSfFtn6RegZ3F1NdS1g08NA

ClashOwenBash

Re: Quick question about lasius niger

Tue Mar 12, 2019 3:44 am

When larvae spin cocoon they produce the silk using special glands. They might only need some substrate to grip to the floor so they can make the cocoon more easily. I have found that this isn't necessary, but can help.
Ant-keeper going into his 4th year of loving ants!